Cracking on folds!

BigSi

Hi there. Are some toners better than others?. I know it's unrealistic to expect no cracking at all but my Xerox toner is shocking.
Both my old DC 5000 and my 700 are terrible. I can't really justify shelling out $25k+ for a Morgana or similar. What are some of the
other major brands like Konica? Rioch? Canon? I realize it comes down to creasing before folding but how do you do this quickly (economically). None of the print finishers in Auckland seem to have a Morgana. Just to time consuming creasing on a platen and then still having to fold for anything over 250+. Thoughts please :).

No matter what the toner, there is no real way of avoiding the need to crease. There's a lot of creasing equipment on the market now ranging from hand fed, hand operated, to fully automatic systems.

We started out with a Morgana Docucreaser - hand fed, but power creasing, and surprisingly fast in operation - before upgrading to their Autocreaser. We've also added an Autofold, that takes the output from the Autocreaser and knife folds it. There's no need to start at the top end of the price scale.

We had too much cracking so we ended up getting a Morgana.
We crease for our KM6500 on a Morgana and then post insert the printed covers when making books.

Due to the nature of toner and the heat/pressure fusing method that most all digital printers use, you are going to get cracking when you fold unless you crease first. We use a Duplo DC-445 auto-creaser. However, I seem to remember in a past posting that Craig has had success using a a special type of score wheel on the folder. Maybe he will catch this post and chime in.

-Best

MailGuru

Thanks for the help guys. Maybe I can get a second hand Morgana or Duplo for under 20k, still on my volumes it's going to take a long time to get my money back. ta Simon

Tri Creasers and a floor folder with adjustable slitter shafts! Techni-fold make a table top creaser too!

Thanks for the help guys. Maybe I can get a second hand Morgana or Duplo for under 20k, still on my volumes it's going to take a long time to get my money back. ta Simon

20K? You must be talking about the slitter cutter creasers. Just a creaser isn't anywhere near that. Duplo makes one but I can't remember the number. We have a count accucreaser. Works great and no where near 20K. Plus runs an 18" wide sheet which i rare but very useful especially for perfing book pages. We used to have their ez creaser and recently upgraded because we were running a lot of large sheets of heavy gloss, some uv coated and needed the more consistent feeding of the air feed model.

The Morgana creaser and folder is over 35k in NZ and Aus (new that is) I don't think the duplo equivalent is much cheaper. I have heard they are quite a bit cheaper over sea's. I don't need a slitter (I can kiss cut on my Heidelberg GTO or platen). I think the machine you have is just a creaser/slitter (It does not fold) but I could be wrong. For some reason a long of this type of gear is very expensive here will properly look at buying via an oversea's website and bring in myself. Thanks.

Tri Creasers and a floor folder with adjustable slitter shafts! Techni-fold make a table top creaser too!

Sounds good, I'll do some googling. Might not be any support in this part of the world (New Zealand) Do I just google Tri creaser? I have not heard of anyone here with one.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back