Creating outlines in PDFs?

Hop_David

Clients often send our newspaper PDFs for ads.

Sometimes they're the wrong proportions and I want to do editing. My favorite way of tweaking pdfs is opening them in Adobe Illustrator.

However, if the pdf includes fonts I don't have, Illustrator will substitute and ruin the ad.

I'm using Acrobat 6.0 on Mac OS 10.5.7. I notice the Acrobat Advanced menu includes "Transparency Flattener Preview". When I choose this menu item I check "Convert All Text to Outlines".

Is there a way to apply this "Convert All Text to Outlines"? At this time the so-called "Portable Document Format" isn't so portable (at least for me).

Clients often send our newspaper PDFs for ads.

Sometimes they're the wrong proportions and I want to do editing. My favorite way of tweaking pdfs is opening them in Adobe Illustrator.

However, if the pdf includes fonts I don't have, Illustrator will substitute and ruin the ad.

Adobe Illustrator is _NOT_ a PDF Editor. Don't try to use it as one.

I'm using Acrobat 6.0 on Mac OS 10.5.7.

Acrobat 6 is VERY old and no longer supported by Adobe - let alone supported on that version of Mac OS X. PLEASE upgrade your software if you'd like help and support...

Leonard Rosenthol
Adobe Systems

in newer acrobat versions you can add a transparent watermark then flatten and convert text to outlines - works fine

Adobe Illustrator is _NOT_ a PDF Editor. Don't try to use it as one.

He, he, he, I could see this one coming from miles ahead. I totally agree with Leonard on that, I had a newspaper that once tried to "fix" my PDF in Illustrator and turned it to crap instead.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back