Creep in Kodak Preps

haha

Anyone know how to set creep in Kodak Preps? I am using version 5.3. I have tried setting it in the past and it seems like it doesn't take.

In sig selection click on layout details. I normally only use the inner and set it to what I need and off you go. I did use the scale option for a 116pg with a crossover in the center and it worked great.

What does the scale option do , I have never used it although we use the shingling feature often.

Thanks,
]he lower part is from preps help and is relatively user freindly

Applying shingling for creep in a job

Determine the amount of shingling to apply, using either the approximate formula or exact method.

Approximate formula: ( number of sheets / 4 ) x stock thickness

The value you use for the number of sheets depends on the binding type:

If perfect bound: pages per signature

If saddle-stitched: pages per entire book

The value of stock thickness is measured in microns. Use a micrometer or obtain the measurement value from the paper supplier.

Exact method:

Make a folding dummy using the same kind of paper and the same folding equipment you plan to use for the job.

Measure the amount of creep with a precise instrument.

Measure the difference between the outer edge (face) of the outermost page and the outer edge of the innermost page.

To apply the shingling amounts, from the Job menu, choose Layout Details.

In the Shingling (Creep) area of the Layout Details dialog box, type the Inner and the Outer amounts.

Note the following points:

Positive values move the image area toward the binding edge of the page.

Negative values move the image area away from the binding edge of the page.

For a perfect-bound or come-and-go template, the Inner amount is applied to the innermost pages of each signature. The specified amounts are applied to the largest signatures in the job, and shingling on any smaller signatures is scaled back so that all signatures match each other after binding.

For a saddle-stitched template, the Inner amount is applied to the innermost pages of the book.

Click OK.

I believe the scale option used the creep number and scaled the pages rather than just moved them towards the spine. It preserved a 2 pg 4c spread easily where in the past I would be manually moving it in order for the pages to match correctly.

Do you know can the creep be adjusted on a Flat Work binding style? Or does it need to be for Perfect Bound, Come 'n Go or Saddle Stitched binding style???

Interesting.

Interesting.

I believe the scale option used the creep number and scaled the pages rather than just moved them towards the spine. It preserved a 2 pg 4c spread easily where in the past I would be manually moving it in order for the pages to match correctly.

I like this idea rather than applying creep and then manually adjusting pages that cross over afterwards. Doing this incorrectly has caused us some costly mistakes in the past. Where exactly are you applying the scaling?

I like this idea rather than applying creep and then manually adjusting pages that cross over afterwards. Doing this incorrectly has caused us some costly mistakes in the past. Where exactly are you applying the scaling?

Layout Details under the "Job Menu". You have to have Preps 5.3.3 to do it though.

2 questions,

To haha,
I can't quite figure out why you would use it on flatwork it really is meant to be used to
accommodate "binding" anomally's .

To Farabomb,
When you scale those innermost pages is there a point where you start to lose bleed on the
outside edge, kind of like having .125 bleed but .156 shingling on your innermost pages,
maybe I'm just reading to much into it, because we have only used the shingling. I guess the same could happen that way, Hmmm

I'm sure it's possible and in that case I would just create more bleed if possible. This one was full bleed but on light stock so there wasn't bleed issues.

The book was a saddle stitch book, but the book was setup with 2 pages per one page in the file versus individual pages.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back