CS3.3 and CS 4.0

kaiserwilhelm

We are being told by our supplier the following:
Could someone let me know if this is true.

If we upgrade our CS3's to CS3.3 for $125 or so bucks each, when CS4 is released we will upgrade for free.

Sounds too good to be true.
Thanks

highly doubt the upgrade would be free. but I am sure as bluskool said, the cost to go from cs 3.3 to 4 will probably be cheaper than to go from 3 to 4.

It's fine if our vendors upgrade theirs, I doubt we'll upgrade our apps with this economy. $125 adds up fast on a dozen workstations. Adobe better be adding some MUST have features otherwise it's just a number game with versions and that's not going to fly on hard times.

The upgrade to 3.3 really just gets you Acrobat 9.
All Acrobat 9 really gets you new is
a bit of speed and some stronger collaboration tools.
(There is some stronger preflighting and "smart" Overprint Preview
but nothing to writ home about)
I would just wait for CS4. It will be announced on the 23rd
and should be released about 6 weeks after that (guessing).
I picked up 1 seat of the update just in case something popped up
making it necessary. Nothing, so far.

MSD

Well PDF workflows do enable us to have the freedom to upgrade or not, as we see fit, depending on our own estimated value increase of the uppgrade.

I wouldn't rule out a dramatic change though. Look at how much more you can do with transparency from CS2 to CS3.

It would be nice if they unified some of their tools between Ill, PS and InD. Or at least the option for such. It's irritating to jump from one program to another using say, swatches, and have very different interfaces for each. Yeah, they all have to behave differently, but should I have to dig to find Pantone libraries in all the junk in Illustrator vs. how easy it is in InD?

How about a unified print interface? Maybe even a separate print module that all apps would print through?

I would have thought that is would have caught the attention at someone at Adobe.
No such luck.
I can tell you that we did order 6 copies based upon the fact that our supplier DID call Adobe and that their Adobe rep stated it was true.
I am not one to disseminate false statements, so if this is not true, Adobe you might want to step in and state so.

Well ...
you know -
the entire interface layout is going to change.
(Possibly to your liking - especially when working one one monitor for InDy)
You will be able to default back to the CS3 window and pallet layout - if you'd rather.

MSD

If we upgrade our CS3's to CS3.3 for $125 or so bucks each, when CS4 is released we will upgrade for free.

Thanks

Assume that it is absolutely untrue! Pricing has not been released yet, but although the upgrade from CS3.3 to CS4 will cost less than the upgrade from earlier CS versions to CS4, it will not be free in any sense. Your supplier is guessing and making things up!

- Dov

Good point Adobe keeps preaching the unified interface. Sure a quick look at the palettes and they looks the same but he the functionality is different in each. It's very frustrating. Well guess what folks the interface has been unified again for CS4!!

Good luck

Adobe has a policy which entitles you to a free upgrade to the latest version if you recently purchased a older product and the new version is going to be released soon or is released.

Thanks

Yesterday, CS4 was announced as well as the various update pricing. In the United States, upgrades from Design Premium CS3.3 to Design Premium 4 is $440 as opposed to $599 for the upgrade from Design Premium CS3 to Design Premium CS4. Effectively, you are credited with what you paid for the upgrade from CS3 to CS3.3 which only included Acrobat 9 Pro and Fireworks CS3.

- Dov

Hey, Dov - the CS4 announcement didn't include an anticipated ship/release date that I could find. It looks like we can pre-order now, but when is CS4 expected to "hit the streets"?

Hey, Dov - the CS4 announcement didn't include an anticipated ship/release date that I could find. It looks like we can pre-order now, but when is CS4 expected to "hit the streets"?

I was pretty sure one or more of those press releases mentioned something about October with no definitive date (they ship when they are ready). If I was a betting man, I would safely bet on having the US English copies before Turkey Day!

;)

- Dov

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back