CS5 on MAC: What is best hardware?

Blindbo

Hi Folks,
Looking to outfit a workstation with a new MAC for CS5 (and other apps). Haven't had to purchase a new system in awhile, yet for CS5 it is required as you may know. Our work is file prep for digital printing. Mostly taking inDesign, Quark, etc and working it into a pdf workflow.

Anyway, what would you suggest as a medium to high-end box?
Also, where would you suggest purchasing it?
Thanks in advance

For our layout workstations we purchased the new 27" iMac i7 processor. They work great. Some of the older intel machines need to turn off the live update. If you have responsibility for colour accuracy then maybe you want a MAcPro and a hardware calibrated monitor.

Lukas, why would the older intel machines require that you turn off the live update???

Turning off sorry my miss quote. Should have been turning off (or alternatively delayed) Live Screen Drawing, in the Preferences: interface is reverting some functions as in CS4.
The reason for this is that when resizing groups of multiple objects with transparency and blending, the lagging of the scaling makes it difficult to resize the objects. The reason is the graphics card or processing power, am a little unsure which.

The option under Units & Display Performance has the option for faster updates to the display in CS4, but I see that option is missing in CS5.

We just updated our workstations and moved to CS5 as well. Topics we discussed were:

•Lifespan of computer - We wanted our workstation to last 5 years
•computing power - We wanted a fast computer that would probably be able to handle CS7
•cost per year before you have to replace the computer - We wanted good value per year balanced with performance
•the unknown - We discussed things like will apple change processors and future compatibilities.

So we went with a 6-core mac pro with 6gb ram. We also upgraded the monitor to the new 27" from apple.

We originally were going to get the 27" imac because it is a very fast machine, our concern was how long would it last and not using very scientific data we decided that the MacPro would last longer.

Thats my 2 cents.

I agree with the MacPro idea. The imacs seem like they share too many aspects with laptops to be the best choice for production.

Given a choice between an early2009 27" iMac i7 with the 512MB graphics card or a late2009 27" iMac i5 with the 1GB graphics card. Which would you go for?

I have got both a mac pro, and an Imac . . . I love them both while a mac pro is easier to expand the Imac is simple and runs like the wind . . . I would buy the most powerful one you can afford - in a year you won't regret it.

We chose the iMac partially for space saving - the Pro is a huge box to have sitting around. For the money and size, the iMac is pretty hard to beat. We have an older G5 with LaCie monitor that we use for critical color correction issues, but we need that so seldom that replicating it in a new machine was low on our priority list.

Adobe illustrator new file opening take a larg time on mac but just open in pc
why, What is solution for it, or problem in CS4 or CS5
Plz give me solution
thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back