CTP Recommendations

Khalidye

Hi All,

we are a small printer with Heidelberg offset machines and we are thinking about buying a used CTP machine but we do not know what to look for. There are many brands and we do not know which brand is good taking into account that I am in a country where maintenance is really hard to find.

I want to know what are the points I need to take into considerations when receiving offers from dealers. What questions and factors I need to ask and what is your recommendations for B1 (70X100 CM) CTP Machines. What about the software which comes with the machine?

I would be grateful if you could help me with this and offer me your advise and recommendations.

Three things to consider:
1 closest service support and stocked with parts
2 closest service support and stocked with parts
3 closest service support and stocked with parts

Khalid I suggest you look for reliable plate suppliers first, it very much depends on what type of plates you can get.

Hi All,

we are a small printer with Heidelberg offset machines and we are thinking about buying a used CTP machine but we do not know what to look for. There are many brands and we do not know which brand is good taking into account that I am in a country where maintenance is really hard to find.

I want to know what are the points I need to take into considerations when receiving offers from dealers. What questions and factors I need to ask and what is your recommendations for B1 (70X100 CM) CTP Machines. What about the software which comes with the machine?

I would be grateful if you could help me with this and offer me your advise and recommendations.

Take the time to do you homework for your local area, you may find that a Screen CTP may be fit the bill. There are lots of them in the field as sold under, Screen,Agfa,Fuji and Heidelberg(older ones) names. This means there quite a few techs in the field and sources of parts.

The other advantage is your choice of CTP does not dictate software to use. There are a range of workflows which can drive the screen CTP directly as well as a number of tiff catchers so you can ustilise those that do not have direct drivers

Take the time to do you homework for your local area, you may find that a Screen CTP may be fit the bill. There are lots of them in the field as sold under, Screen,Agfa,Fuji and Heidelberg(older ones) names. This means there quite a few techs in the field and sources of parts.

The other advantage is your choice of CTP does not dictate software to use. There are a range of workflows which can drive the screen CTP directly as well as a number of tiff catchers so you can ustilise those that do not have direct drivers

Hi Hager,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have some companies recommending Screen because of the laser head troubleshooting and maintenance. I think it is possible to change Individual diode anytime if the machine fails. I also know that Kodak and Agfa are manufactured by Screen so I do not know if I should consider Agfa and Kodak.

Some companies suggest that I should look for the plates suppliers before making a buying decision.

What do you think I should consider?

Thanks

Khalid

Hi Hager,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have some companies recommending Screen because of the laser head troubleshooting and maintenance. I think it is possible to change Individual diode anytime if the machine fails. I also know that Kodak and Agfa are manufactured by Screen so I do not know if I should consider Agfa and Kodak.

Some companies suggest that I should look for the plates suppliers before making a buying decision.

Thanks

Khalid

Where on earth did you get the mistaken idea that Kodak CtP is manufactured by Screen?

Kodak made by Screen, oh yes, may be long time ago, when we are talking about fiber diodes equipments then Creo, Screen, Agfa or Heidelberg are basically same.
But now, if square dot, only Kodak is the impressive.

Hi Hager,

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks

Khalid

I don't know what part of thye world you are in, but you need to consider a good plate supply, available service and parts and of course money.
The screen machines work on different technologies, There are some that use individual diodes via optics and latter an array) there are usually 32 diodes so can be replaced at sub $1k, then there are GLV machines, which have single laser with multiple mirrors for faster output. With the indiviudal diode systems, if a laser goes bad you can run at half speed.

Agfa machines are typically rebadged Screen machines, However it is worth bearing in mind the newer machines are slighly locked. so changing plate settings requires a file from Agfa. And I have heard a romour the ethernet data system can be configured on some systems to only accept data from Agfa workflows. If you are looking to go down the Agfa plate route, you may be get a good deal.

I don't hear too much about Kodak CTP, (good or bad), They seem to have a good reputation for their service at least over here. But it is a a cost, and there is far less independant coverage of service for the machines. I have heard you need to have an engineering dongle to work on them, and Kodak, just don't given out (which is understandable) even to ex OEMs.

At my last job we ran a Kodak Trendsetter News. I'll say this, it was robust. It was under Kodak service. Our Benchmark was 26 plates per hour. All of our webs were 4up. We ran 2 shifts. We had 3 Heidelberg Web 8's. A Harris M-308(?) and a Diddie.

Reactions: leo
Kodak made by Screen, oh yes, may be long time ago, when we are talking about fiber diodes equipments then Creo, Screen, Agfa or Heidelberg are basically same.
But now, if square dot, only Kodak is the impressive.

No. You have it backwards.

This was the Screen/Creo relationship:

In 1991 Creo inked a deal with Screen to develop and manufacture a new photoplotter engine for Screen. It was capable of exposing laser direct-write process free film. This Creo plotter served as the imaging engine for Screen’s MTR 1120 (a 32 beam 4000 dpi external drum recorder.).

Beginning in 1993 Creo also developed, for Screen, Screen’s Direct Digital Color Proofer.

On a sidebar, there are differences between the offerings of the vendors you listed. Those differences may or may not have value to you. You need to determine what your business objectives are for the device that you are considering. If it’s just to plot plates then you might not be extracting the potential value from your investment.

Also, it’s “SquareSpot” not “square dot”.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I would Not buy a Kodak. Although it is a very good unit their proprietary software locks other vendors from servicing your machine. you will be a captive customer. The example I use is if you bought a car from a dealership and they lock your hood so that you have to go to them for any maintenance!
Screen is sold by Fuji, Agfa, Screen, and other vendors and there are a plethora of 3rd party service companies that work on the Screen CTP devices. Parts are also easier to get. Do not buy the Screen GLV units as they are not as reliable as the diode units. The Screen CTP's with the Diode imaging heads are like Toyotas they are very reliable. I recently retired from Fuji after 30 years. I was a Plate Advisor we switched plate media on numerous devices. When we had to do a plate media change on a Kodak they would attempt to charge between 3-5 K for a simple media change! We found workarounds but for regular customers, Kodak can be very predatory about service charges.

Agfa is locking their machines too since some time. Without unlock file owner can't set new plates. Stay away.

ChrisZ you are right the last few years Agfa has requested Screen put a lock on the system. If you buy from Screen directly they do not use a lockout passcode, Fuji does not use a lock out system either. Also, be careful if you buy a used machine as if it is a newer Agfa it probably has a lockout on it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back