Curious

It would be nice to know if anything is ever resolved with this forum. There are always plenty of good answers to the questions, but we are never told if any of them solve the problem.

Surprised !

Surprised !

Hello "J"

1) I'm surprised that you should ask ! - seeing it seems mainly a American Press Room problem - I suggest you read the 26 replies from, Thread - Picture Framing on Sheet-fed Presses, Date 11/26/2010 or more correctly 26/11/2010.

2) From being an Apprentice Lithographer during the 1950's and until my retirement, I had never heard the expression, or had experience of the problem. My first acquaintance with the words and the description of the problem was on this forum.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
Hello "J"

1) I'm surprised that you should ask ! - seeing it seems mainly a American Press Room problem - I suggest you read the 26 replies from, Thread - Picture Framing on Sheet-fed Presses, Date 11/26/2010 or more correctly 26/11/2010.

2) From being an Apprentice Lithographer during the 1950's and until my retirement, I had never heard the expression, or had experience of the problem. My first acquaintance with the words and the description of the problem was on this forum.

Regards, Alois

Ok, I read that thread - everyone talked about how to solve the problem but there was only one very brief description of what it looks like: " the blankets were glossy with wet ink around the edges of the printed area, this cause ink to build up on the impressions and flick all over the grippers" and I'm not sure I understand what's being described. Anyone got a photo or who can provide a clear description of what is meant by "picture framing"? It sounds like toning or tinting. Or is it something else?

J

Ok, I read that thread - everyone talked about how to solve the problem but there was only one very brief description of what it looks like: " the blankets were glossy with wet ink around the edges of the printed area, this cause ink to build up on the impressions and flick all over the grippers" and I'm not sure I understand what's being described. Anyone got a photo or who can provide a clear description of what is meant by "picture framing"? It sounds like toning or tinting. Or is it something else?

J

As I understand it, it is called picture framing because the ink on the blanket is outside the paper and kind of looks like a picture frame around the paper sheet on a sheet fed press. It happens on a web press also.

I would also say that it is caused by toning or tinting as ink goes to the blanket from the non image area of the plate but can not go out of the press since it is outside the paper area and can not go back to the plate because the non image area is wet with water and will not take it back.

It could also be caused by an uncontrolled startup where the form rollers hit the plate before sufficient amounts of water have hit the plate causing an initial inking of the non image area of the plate.

On some presses there is the ability to sequence the closing of nips. If the blanket and plate nip is closed after the plate has fully cleaned up, then there is less chance of ink printing to the blanket from the non image area outside the paper. On a press I was familiar with, that step could be done. Toning or scumming would still produce ink on the blanket. To help get around this, the press operators sometimes packed only under where the paper (web) was to avoid the ink transfer outside that area.

"picture framing" as i understand it is when the plate gets sensitive via the blanket outside the perimeter of the sheet. Ive always known the blankets to get ink outside the sheet area but when it begins to travel up and sensitize the plate is when problems begin. There are many theories on what causes picture framing but ive yet to hear of a definitive one and ive certainly not heard of an absolute cure. Ive come face to face with this on a few occasions but never with it so severe that i couldnt finish out a job with the plate. It should be mentioned however that my experience with it was in a very short run environment so it never really had enough time to show its teeth.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back