Current State of Digital Vs. DI...are you nuts?

1st off, i wanted to get the Digital Printing angle on this matter -

considering current pricing and capabilities - if you had to buy today -
would you lean toward digital press or DI ?

What are the leading DI machines...which are still in production?

i am close to buying xerox 8000ap , 770, or KM7000.

(variable printing is not a big need for me)

my average job is 5000 full color, both side postcards on 100 cover.

((regarding the "are you nuts?" in title...that was just attention getter))

Sorry for the 15 replies but don't forget looking at ImagePress 7010 in that mix. It's a great machine (and I think that there is a stop sell on the 8000, now you have to buy the 8080 which is in the same price range as 7010, new atleast)

now i'm doing gang runs, paying .039 per postcard if i fill a 5000 sheet run, 16 up...80k cards (5.5x8.5, 100#cover, 4/4, no aq or uv)

a typical gang run is made up of a few 5k, 10k, 20k, etc...3-6 titles per sheet.

when i dont fill the run, only printing 40k, 20k etc my cost goes up to .05, .077 range...

so i am thinking on digital i can get most cost down when i cant fill a run...from my calcs, considering click cost and paper cost, i can get my cost down to .03 range. which would save me considerable money, paying for machine and operator easily with my volume.

most of my jobs are 2500+ postcards...most jobs fall in the 2500-20,000 postcard range. all static. this is what has me interested in DI, that i could get my cost down even more, as this is the sweetspot for DI, from what i've read here.

Nexpress salesman swears i dont need a pressman. i could find one i'm sure, but Nexpress guy swears its not needed, that service calls are rare, most dont buy service contracts...no click costs...what am i missing?

Nexpress salesman swears i dont need a pressman. i could find one i'm sure, but Nexpress guy swears its not needed, that service calls are rare, most dont buy service contracts...no click costs...what am i missing?

uh oh! Don't believe the hype too much. Contact other users for more info in real-life usage.

Job the postcards out and keep your money

Job the postcards out and keep your money

You can get runs of 2500 5.5 x 8.5 postcards printed 4/4 with AQ or Varnish on a premium 14 PT C2S or C1S for under $.06, 5000 for Under $.04, and 10K plus in the $.03 range. No upfront investment, no machine headaches, no pressman needed. no hidden costs. Concetrate on selling your product and let the "Starving" trade printers and their $3 million dollar Automated presses take care of all the hard work
Just my $.02 worth

>>Nexpress salesman swears i dont need a pressman. i could find one i'm sure, but Nexpress guy swears its not needed, that service calls are rare, most dont buy service contracts...no click costs...what am i missing?

uh oh! Don't believe the hype too much. Contact other users for more info in real-life usage.

I agree - contact other users. However, keep in mind that the Nexpress was designed in partnership with Heidelberg. It's designed as a press first (something Heidelberg should know a thing or two about), with digital capabilities added (something Kodak certainly knows a thing or two about)... compared with competitor devices that are built up from color copiers on steroids (yes, argue as you will with me here). That difference is exactly why our salesmen make statements as you see above.

Kevin.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back