Cut and stack digital printing help needed

enderz06

I need a way to take a PS or PDF file that is 500 sheet 8 1/2 x 11 and make it 250 2 up 11 X 17 so that it will cut and stack. Is there a little program or custom PS printer Queue that can help me?
Thanks Chuck

Do you have InDesign? If so, create a new 17x11 document and then put the 2 8.5x11 pages on the master page (one on the left and the other on the right). Add 249 pages to your document using the master page as your master. It should create the 250 pages that you need and the elements will be on all the pages since you placed them on the master page. Then, create a pdf from Indesign.

Last edited:
Wouldnt the master page idea just gave him the same exact thing on every page, I believe he wants every page to be different, which is why the cut and stack needs to happen....preps can do this without a hitch, or send me the PDF and ill put it 2 up for you and send it back

Thanks for the help
This job is 500 originals and need to print 1 to 250 on left and 251 to 500 on right so it can be cut and stacked.
I will take a look at Quite Imposing and see if that will do it.
Thanks Chuck

Just out of curiosity....Wouldnt it be much easier on a 500 Piece run to just do it 1up on 8.5 x 11, It will probably cost less in the long run by the time you spend imposing the job

just a thought

What if the quantity is 1,000 or 2,000 originals? Like they say, teach a man to fish...

As mentioned above, have a look at Quite Imposing, which is an Acrobat plugin. They have a free demo which you can run but puts a X watermark on the imposed file. We use Impostrip which is a standalone application.

Most modern RIPs will have this function if you buy the imposition module. Our Fiery rips have it and if I remembered correctly, our Creos had it too.

I could not make Quite Imposing work it would not let me cut and stack when I was done.
I also do a lot of runs of this type and with Xerox giving the same click for 11 X 17 as 8 1/2 x 11 I would like to take advantage of it
I will try Impostrip. I like the idea of a standalone application. Any idea what it cast.
My Xerox will let me make it 2-up but not stack and cut like I want
Thanks Chuck

Quite Imposing works a treat I use it all the time for very complex cut & stack work. ie: 16 different blocks of numbers on an SRA3 sheet - all as stacks.

Yes, you definitely save on click charges if you print 2up. That is how we run all our jobs whenever we can. Can't remember what the original software cost but a recent upgrade + yearly support + new dongle set us back >CAD$700.00.

Another for Quite Imposing. It Rocks.

Sure does!

We use the full suite of Quite Software - Imposing Plus, Box-of-Tricks & Revealing.

from the simple step & repeat to complex cut stacks with different gutters, margins and marks etc etc.

10 out of 10.

Crackerjack is much cheaper option that quite imposing and also easier to use. They have a free demo, that will place a watermark, so you can try before you buy.
We are so happy with it that I even bought both versions, for PC and mac and we have it on both platforms.

We use PDF Snake, which has most, if not all, the same features of Quite Imposing, but much cheaper. It's a great little Acrobat plug-in, and inexpensive enough that we have it on most of our desktops in the shop.

With QIP 2.X you just have to
Select
Shuffle pages for Imposing...
Group 2
Click Repeat... button
Select 3. Single cut stacks
Rules
1 2
Click OK button
then do n-up pages...

If you still have problems let us know.
contact [email protected]

cheers,
Charles

Charles James
Technical/Marketing Director
Quite Software
1527 Law Street
San Diego , CA 92109
USA
[email protected]
Quite at Home

cut and stack

cut and stack

You, still, can do it with InDesign.
Just make a 250 page document
use "multi-page import"
to bring in 1-249 in on the one side
and then
250-500
on the other side.
Should take only a couple of minutes.

MSD

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back