Cutter death-match: Challenge vs China

elihorn

Hello there,
I am trying to decide between two paper cutters and would like a knowledgeable opinion. For context–it will be for a small risograph print studio operating mostly to make short-run art prints and books, and likely never operating on a full-time commercial scale.

The machines in question are (photos included in attachments):

HL-4708 (specs here)
$250 (local)

An older Challenge (not sure the model)
$350 + $100 shipping

Both are manual operated and cut up to ~18". I'm assuming the Challenge is a better quality machine, but wondering if it's worth the extra cost and what kind of differences I will notice between the two. The studio is also quite small so I'm somewhat concerned about size.

Thank you! Your input is much appreciated

Attachments

• challenge-01.JPG
    challenge-01.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 4708-01.JPG
    4708-01.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 165
  • challenge-02.jpg
    challenge-02.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 4708-02.JPG
    4708-02.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 158
IMHO . . . go with the challenge . . . better built, longer handle, bigger wheel. . . can't beat old time craftsmanship

:)

We have that same little Challenge, and I'm sure it is a much better deal. The cast iron frame and quality of the linkage will be much superior. It looks almost new, unless its been painted. Keep it oiled and clean and it will outlast you! BG

Thanks for the input! We ended up with the Challenge and are very happy with the choice. It seems like a beautiful machine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back