Deleting every nth page in Acrobat

jotterpinky

I have an application that requires us to delete every 7th and 8th page in a PDF. For instance we would need to delete pages 7 & 8, 15 &16, 23 & 24, etc. (every eighth page).

We will be receiving these files every week and there are thousands of pages. Is there an easy way to do this using Pitstop or some tool in Acrobat Professional?

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the pages afterwards? Do you need to keep the multi-page document in tack? Are you able to split the document into single pages and then just impose it later?

You could split the document into single pages. It should append the page # at the end. Then filter out the files that end in specific pages numbers. Do you have covers, indexes, TOC's you need that can vary between documents?

Greg

I haven't used it in a while but I would assume you could use AppleScript to control Acrobat and get it to delete the pages for you.

Expand the pages palette until there are 8 columns of thumbnails. Make a selection by dragging over the 7th and 8th columns with your mouse. Delete...

Software Developer

Software Developer

I paid a software developer to create a simple app where I created "templates" inside of the software app, the "templates" basically were just the pages that I wanted printed. So, the same 30 page document I did not want to print out for the 15 different people than needed parts of it. I created a template and named it after that person's job title. So, plumber gets pages 3,9,15 always; electrician gets 2,15,22 always, etc. I choose the file.pdf and the template name and boom, out comes the "custom" print job from the application.

Second option, more expensive is to go with an Electronic Document Management system that would take your "raw" pdf and process it and file it, email it, OCR it, or whatever workflow you wanted.

Attached is an AppleScript I quickly 'knocked together'. I'm sure there maybe some issues with it and I didn't try to make it immune to user mistakes but you are welcome to it if you want. I tested this by opening a document in Acrobat (I am using Acrobat Professional 8, btw) and then running the script. To run the script you can open the script in AppleScript Editor (double-click the script should do it) or you can add it to your scripts menu in the menu bar.

I hope this does what you want but if not, it might point you in the right direction.

Steven

Attachments

• Acrobat.scpt.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 367
Qoppa Software offers PDF Automation Server - a server application that watches a location or port, and then processes documents according to your predefined rules, and puts the resultant PDF file where you specify. If you use our desktop tool, PDF Studio, you can definitely manipulate files as you like, saving the changed file as a true PDF document.

Thanks for asking! :)
Our software is written in Java, so it runs beautifully on PCs, Macs, Linux, Solaris, ubuntu, and any others that handle Java 1.5 or later.
Here's the official posted information: PDF Automation Server can run in Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, AIX, Solaris and any other Unix flavor that has a Sun compliant JVM implemenation. PAS is written entirely in Java so that it can run on most major operating systems.
BTW, you can download and try it for free from our website.

We have both Macs and PCs, this application will probably be run up front by our customer service people though so it would be on a PC.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back