Determining "sheet number" based on "document page number" of printer spreads

jotterpinky

Determining "sheet number" based on "document page number" of printer spreads

Does anyone know of a formula or easy method for determining which page of an imposed PDF will have a certain page number.

For instance we have a book that we are digitally printing on 11x17 sheets, (finished book is 8.5x11) We are smythe stitching it and are running the document as 4 sheets of paper per signature (total 16 numbered pages in the document). We impose the document in Acrobat using Quite Imposing so we have a PDF file with 11x17 pages that are in the correct page order after we fold and gather the signatures.

We need to be able to determine easily the PDF page number if we know the document page number. So if we have a copy of the bound book and are looking at say page 49 (numbered page) we know that if we need to reprint just that page from the PDF that its page 25 in the PDF file.

Any ideas? I'm hoping there's a quick trick or formula to do this easily and quickly.

I would take a master copy of the book and label the folio pages accordingly (page 1 : sig 1, page 2 : sig 1, page 3 : sig 2, etc) and keep it handy. Or, if you use alot of common page counts 36, 72, etc. create a database in excel or create a master list on paper and name the pages according to signature. (This would work especially nice if you constantly run only on 11 x 17 sheets)

Hello. We use Acrobat to automatically put page numbers at the bottom of the pages using the
Bates numbering option. Its located under Advanced-Document Processing-Bates Numbering. By the way
I use acrobat 8 so I don’t know if its there in any other version. Any ways it gives you options as to where to place the page numbers. The page numbers are 6 digits I think. So page 1 would be 000001 and so on.
I hope this helps.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back