Digital Book

Before any of the members can give you an accurate answer, they would need more information.

What quantity & frequency?
What size is the book?
What kind of paper?
Are the covers & insides the same stock, or, would you be using mixed stock (ex: 80# gloss cover for the outsides, 60# gloss text for the insides)?
How many pages?
Is there variable text and/or pictures and diagrams, or, is it all static/generic?
What kind of binding for the book (saddle-stitched, perfect bind, spiral, etc.)
Would you be doing that bind operation offline, or, are you intending on inline?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Specs are:
Qty: 100 to 1000 books
Sizes:8.5 x 11, 5.5 x 8.5, 6x9
100 page to 400 page
Paper 50# 60# offset
Separate cover
[/FONT]

100 page to 400 pages was pretty specific.

I guess technically, but that range is basically giving you the option of an office printer up to a production printer. that large of a variable in pages and qty is like asking if a bicycle or a car is better for traveling between 1 and 1000 miles.

Depends what equipment you have, what the workload's like on your machines, and the EXACT quantity and page count. And I wouldn't even presume 'digital'. It could potentially be economical to run 1000 on a one-colour press.

100 page to 400 pages was pretty specific.

might be specific, but that was not what namelessentity was trying to point out.

a 100 page book ( lets a assume that is 100 pdf pages that are 8.5x11 lat largest, paginated 2 up on 11x17 sheets - so, 25 sheets duplex min...time 100 copies min
- that is 2,500 sheets printed. Great digital job.

a 400 page book max , same as above, is 100 folded sheets and if they order 1000 books max
- that is 100,000 printed sheets.

You print that digital in my shop i would fire you immediately.

Thats is an offset job, so, either but a 1 color offset press, or outsource it.

a 400 page book max , same as above, is 100 folded sheets and if they order 1000 books max
- that is 100,000 printed sheets.

You print that digital in my shop i would fire you immediately.

Thats is an offset job, so, either but a 1 color offset press, or outsource it.

This is the type of job we do every day.

You print that job offset in my shop, while I won't fire you, we will have a serious discussion about true manufacturing cost.

The plates for that job will cost about the same as the clicks, add in the sheet utilization difference between offset and digital, make ready sheets and folding time, and digital is cheaper.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back