Digital Envelope Printers.... AGAIN... This time OKI C931DP vesus Xante Impressia

G

We print on the back flaps of announcement envelopes a lot. We started with Xante Illuminas which were nothing but problems. The flaps would often drag the drums causing marks on the finished product and scratched drums. Not to mention those embossed flaps, outrageous consumable costs and of course.... XANTE SUPPORT SUCKS!!!!

Then... we moved to Formax Colormax 7 printers. Low cost / LOW QUALITY. Ink spooges all over the envelopes and standing around waiting for head cleanings and then those annoying little ink ticks on the underside trailing edge of the envelopes... ARRGH!

NOW... we are looking at going back to toner. 2 dealers jockeying for our business with 2 different machines.

OKI C931DP vesus Xante Impressia

I plan to test run them both, but would appreciate if anybody had any input on either or hopefully BOTH machines. Remember... we want to print on the BACK FLAPS (light coverage). Machine and consumable cost are always a factor, but so is spoilage due to marked/bad envelopes.

And yes as many of you already know, I have already taken into consideration that .... XANTE SUPPORT SUCKS!!!!

Thanks for all your thoughts.....

We have not had a back flap print job yet but I will see if we can test some, what envelope would you like to see tests on and I will see if we have some in stock.

The OKI and the Impressia both use an imaging transfer belt which is completely different from the older model Ilumina brand from Xante (where the media contacted the imaging drums directly). Printing on the back flap with either should not pose difficulty. I can speak from experience with the Impressia. We do it all the time.

Of course, I have to take issue with your opinion of tech support. Let us know how it all turns out.

We run with the oki c941e digital printer and the Rt-125 Streamfeeder envelope feeder. We tried to run with the Rt-125 with no luck as of yet. Going through the feeder the flap will slide open. But when we run them in the MPTray the A2/A6/A7/A10 run ok say 50 at a time.

we have the okipro900dp, approx. 50% of our jobs are flaps and we have no problem with skewing or marking, if your flaps are opening using your envelope feeder your feed wheels are probably adjusted too tight

The big difference between the Oki with its feeder and the Impressia with the Enterprise feeder is the positioning of the envelopes as they enter the printer. Envelopes feeding into the Oki must be positioned with the printing side (flap) face up. On the Impressia the printing side is face down. The flap is pressed against the envelope throughout the printing process.

Of course, I have to take issue with your opinion of tech support. Let us know how it all turns out.

Thanks for your feedback. I wish Xante would take issue with their support though rather than it's critics. Recently even had a prominent Xante dealer tell me how bad he thought Xante support was. I haven't had Xante for a while, but from what the dealer told me. not much has improved. I don't know if support techs understand the urgency with which customers make calls. Printers don't usually call with issues that we have weeks to solve. We usually have to deliver a job in very short time and need help immediately. Just my two cents.... you can ignore it or use it to make Xante better.

We have not had a back flap print job yet but I will see if we can test some, what envelope would you like to see tests on and I will see if we have some in stock.

Thanks! We are printing on 7 Baronials (7.25 x 5.25) Announcement style envelopes with pointed flaps. We run too many to open all the flaps. We have to print with the flaps closed.

Thanks for your feedback. I wish Xante would take issue with their support though rather than it's critics. Recently even had a prominent Xante dealer tell me how bad he thought Xante support was. I haven't had Xante for a while, but from what the dealer told me. not much has improved. I don't know if support techs understand the urgency with which customers make calls. Printers don't usually call with issues that we have weeks to solve. We usually have to deliver a job in very short time and need help immediately. Just my two cents.... you can ignore it or use it to make Xante better.

I will pass along your comments. We are always seeking to improve wherever possible but without specifics it's difficult to fix problems. The anecdotes about general experiences keep getting propagated along with general comments about product models that have long been superseded by newer technology.

I will pass along your comments. We are always seeking to improve wherever possible but without specifics it's difficult to fix problems. The anecdotes about general experiences keep getting propagated along with general comments about product models that have long been superseded by newer technology.

Not sure if Xante has a support experience survey, but it's up to Xante to improve it's own reputation, not the users. The comment I referenced from a dealer was about a week ago..... This particular dealer sells a lot of Xante equipment. As for problems with machines that are no longer sold by Xante, you have to realize that the printers who invested in those machines are still living with the issues. It's frustrating for many. If Xante wants to get out from under the shortcomings of those machines, perhaps a generous trade in program towards a new machine might help. When a small company spends that much money on a printer and commits to those somewhat heavy consumable costs, they pretty much need it to perform without many issues. Although it's nice to have tech support, waiting in queue for answers to problems is not what pays the bills of a small print shop.

Kringle, sent you a PM with a link to video of it printing A6 flaps, that is all we have in stock.

Kringle, sent you a PM with a link to video of it printing A6 flaps, that is all we have in stock.

THANKS! That's pretty much exactly what I need to do.

Which machine is that exactly?

Is there any issue with the toner adhesion when you have to pass over where the number of paper layers change? Do you know what the cost per print is on a project like that?

Thanks again.... AWESOME!

I have the Neopost CX-1600 which is the Oki 931e with new badges.

We run envelopes through first then insert so I can't comment on multiple layers, but we had embossing issues with the Xerox 7400, that has gone away with this printer. Not had any adhesion issues so far, but we only run envelopes through it, nothing crazy.

Rough guess, that color logo was around 20 cents. I would have to run the cost analysis tool to get an exact amount.

We run envelopes through first then insert so I can't comment on multiple layers, but we had embossing issues with the Xerox 7400, that has gone away with this printer. Not had any adhesion issues so far, but we only run envelopes through it, nothing crazy.

I'm sorry, I wasn't totally clear about the multiple layers. I'm just talking about where the flap overlaps the other folded up parts of the envelope. I've heard where the different layers of stock crossover under the flap, causes fusing problems when the print area crosses form one level to the next. But it sounds like you are not experiencing that, so that's a good thing.

I'm hoping you meant .02 cents and not 20.

Thanks again for the video

perhaps a generous trade in program towards a new machine might help. When a small company spends that much money on a printer and commits to those somewhat heavy consumable costs, they pretty much need it to perform without many issues. Although it's nice to have tech support, waiting in queue for answers to problems is not what pays the bills of a small print shop.

In fact, there's a special running right now. Your dealer should have all the details.

In fact, there's a special running right now. Your dealer should have all the details.

Hmmm.... funny. He never mentioned anything about a trade up deal. Care to post the details here?

Is the incentive designed to help users get out of design flawed printers from the past? Or merely as a crumb in an effort to sell new Xantes?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back