Digital Proofing - Summary?

Gregg

Hi,

We're in the process of pitching the idea of ditching wet-proofs (especially for digitally created artwork) and getting digital proofs, instead.

I've poked around on this site and online, in general, but I am unable to find a concise breakdown on the different types of digital proofs (Epson, Iris, Indigo, etc).

I would love to gather information on each proofing method, pros and cons, etc.

Can anyone help?

In the US, most digital proofs are inkjet (Epson).
If you have a digital press, you have the option of just printing one (1).
Proof = Press (You better be able to match that :))

For the titles we print in the states (mostly 1C fiction titles) we do receive Epsons for the jackets/covers. Overall feeling in regard to the Epsons is they are flat/dull and any lamination compensation curve applied is usually not accurate.

Digital inkjet proofs can be very accurate if the correct ICC profile and base proofing media are used with color management. Results from IT8.7/4 target (n=1,617 patches) are average Delta E'00 < 2.0 for proof and average DE'00 <3.5 for press.
Have you asked both your prepress proof supplier and printer for these DE values?
The data should be used to make decisions, not opinions.

Digital inkjet proofs can be very accurate if the correct ICC profile and base proofing media are used with color management. Results from IT8.7/4 target (n=1,617 patches) are average Delta E'00 < 2.0 for proof and average DE'00 <3.5 for press.
Have you asked both your prepress proof supplier and printer for these DE values?
The data should be used to make decisions, not opinions.
Hi, Steve. Can you help me with something in regard to Epson proofs. Please see the attached photo of an Epson proof we recently received. Notice the 2 different whites. The outer white (the cleaner white) I assume to be the actual color of the stock. The inner white (what is looking a bit warm) is what has me puzzled. Is that an attempt to match actual paper stock that the title will print on? Or is a varnish of some sort applied to Epsons?

Attachments

• IMG_9125.jpg
    IMG_9125.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Hi, Steve. Can you help me with something in regard to Epson proofs. Please see the attached photo of an Epson proof we recently received. Notice the 2 different whites. The outer white (the cleaner white) I assume to be the actual color of the stock. The inner white (what is looking a bit warm) is what has me puzzled. Is that an attempt to match actual paper stock that the title will print on? Or is a varnish of some sort applied to Epsons?
The background tone is called 'paper simulation' and it's a feature in a lot of proof rips. It's there to be able to simulate the exact Lab value of the target paper color (often the whitepoint of the ICC or from the Lab target aka proof standard). That doesn't mean that it's always for the better, because a lot of times the actual production paper doesn't match the white point of the (often syntethic) target values of the proof standard.

The background tone is called 'paper simulation' and it's a feature in a lot of proof rips. It's there to be able to simulate the exact Lab value of the target paper color (often the whitepoint of the ICC or from the Lab target aka proof standard). That doesn't mean that it's always for the better, because a lot of times the actual production paper doesn't match the white point of the (often syntethic) target values of the proof standard.
Thanks, Magnus!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back