Does anyone has Xrite iQC import able pantone lab value?

drummerpaco

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone have pantone plus import able file for Xrite Color iQC software?I found the Pantone + Solid Coated D65.cxf file that came with install CD and I am not sure if this cxf file is outdated. If cxf file that I have is up-to-date pantone lab value, is this trustworthy?

I am tring to compare Lab value in Adobe CS5 pantone Lab value with several color target (guide book, chipset, Color iQC CXF file, Quark express, etc.) to see if Pantone+ lab value in Adobe system is accurate. I noticed all PMS+ lab value in Adobe and Quark are identical, however measured physical guide book + Chipset and CXF file lab value are some different in Pantone primary colors.

I also found out that Pantone give away Pantone+ Lab value only for Vendors and I am not one of them. And some said Pantone changes the lab value time to time.

I guess my question is what should be the color standard target for PMS+ sustem.
Is the guide book? I doubt that. should the Adobe pantone lab value the one?

Can anybody help?

"D65" is the weak part of your description.

Mainstream printing is D50, therefore I do not believe the values you have are reliable for what you are trying to do.

Regards,

I guess my question is what should be the color standard target for PMS+ sustem.
Is the guide book? I doubt that. should the Adobe pantone lab value the one?

Can anybody help?

AFAIK, Lab values are still not the target for Pantone spot colors. The Lab values that are published by Pantone to vendors (and available elsewhere) are to aid in creating CMYK screen tint simulations. Pantone colors are created by following an ink mixing recipe. After the ink is mixed and applied to the substrate then the resulting Lab value can be the basis of color tolerancing or a target for spot color mixes that will be applied to other substrates or printing technologies.

best, gordo

Thanks Gordo for the answer.

I am not sure how gravure or flexo ink is mixed, but to match the pantone color for using transparent substrate, what would be the pantone standard?
Does Pantone has special mix receipt for the Flexo and Gravure?

I have to ask this question then, what would be the color target for matching pantone color?
What if customer request to match Pantone+ XXX C for color target?
Should you always ask for the physical color target because the pantone color shift base on printing substrate material?
There should be the some sort of color target for Pantone.
Guide book could be one, however, it is limited to paper substrate that Pantone use.
(I am not sure if the substrate paper meets SWOP or GRACoL whiteness)

I am confused

Yes, based on my experience, you should always start with an ink drawdown on the actual substrate. There is no safer way to establish a color target.

I have another question then.
If Pantone need to be applied on substrate before finding Lab value, then should same pantone color will have different lab value depends on different substrate?
Even you are using different substrate, shouldn't they need to have same lab value range? (Or if Pantone already published Pantone color guide for applying clear film, I would be more than happy to use them.)
How would you know if Pantone recipe is correctly applied when they mix? Don't you need to check mixed ink before applied onto actual substrate? and when you actually apply Pantone color (w/ mixed recipe) onto the substrate, how do you know if they are applied correctly.

If the substrate made the pantone color shift to "a" area, do you need to change the substrate to match color?

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back