Does anyone still use overprint?

Macmann

With the ability to set an item to Multiply or Darken so widely available in most graphic applications, is there a need for the overprint checkbox anymore? Just curious.

With the ability to set an item to Multiply or Darken so widely available in most graphic applications, is there a need for the overprint checkbox anymore? Just curious.

It is true that overprint was commonly used as a kludge to simulate transparency prior to transparency being added to the Adobe imaging model and PDF 1.4. With any modern day graphic arts applications, use of overprint as a “poor man's transparency” hack should be totally abandoned.

That having been said, one of the most common uses for overprint is for text and sometimes vector artwork in process black (i.e., CMYK=(0,0,0,1). Such overprint helps avoid the possibility of annoying white artifacts when such black objects overlay other content and is strongly recommended. (In the general case, text styles using process black often default to enabling black overprint!)

- Dov Isaacs

Thanks Dov for your input. We use spot colors almost exclusively and very little CMYK black text. I avoid the overprint checkbox at all costs but when a coworker observes me using the Multiply blend mode they react with shock and fear of this shiny new technology. If any issue with a project goes sideways, no matter how unrelated, it is the first thing they blame. Can you site examples where using overprint could potentially cause issues or should I just give up trying to educate them and do my own thing?

Thanks Dov for your input. We use spot colors almost exclusively and very little CMYK black text. I avoid the overprint checkbox at all costs but when a coworker observes me using the Multiply blend mode they react with shock and fear of this shiny new technology. If any issue with a project goes sideways, no matter how unrelated, it is the first thing they blame. Can you site examples where using overprint could potentially cause issues or should I just give up trying to educate them and do my own thing?

Overprinting with spot colors could be a fairly dangerous proposition in terms of results.

On the other hand, use of transparency with spot colors is also problematic since your spot colors may be converted to process colors during the rendering process.

In terms of “shiny new technology,” live transparency is hardly new in any way. Sounds like your coworkers might be Luddites.

- Dov Isaacs

...following Dov´s input above:

show me a preference-function that sets the default black in Indesign, which can be set to overprint by default, then instead sets it to multiply transparency if the overprint attribute should disappear ...

I see a LOT of overprint problems, still. Black type, black vector graphics, OCR codes and barcodes: all of them can be 'knockout' even using the latest software. Our most basic service is to preflight documents and fix the problematic situations. My perception is that the majority of content creators are 'Luddites'... :)

In packaging and label printing, there are many cases where the designer needs to set up files that may need to build objects that will overprint. white overprinting is a common thing when printing on glass. indicating where a spot varnish should fall, where foil stamping needs to be placed - it is common practice to create a spot color that represents where a die line will need to land or a perf. We see storefront templates that enable you to upload you PDF "under" a die line to see if you are happy with where your art lands. you definitely would not want ANY of these things set to knock out.

So, yes, I see many of our PressWise customers setting up PDF files - and storefront templates that apply overprinting objects to uploaded PDF files.

Reactions: EEM
Absolutely. Wherever it makes sense. Checking that simple box is much faster (thus highly efficient) than navigating through various transparency options. And hust in case I am not the last person on this planet needing to output such constructs (yes, including complex DevideN stuff) in various n-ups (packaging, labels etc) — your RIP will thank you for keeping simple things stupid simple.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back