Does the Duplo require special software when printing?

KeepSwimming

Based on what I have read and reviews, I think purchasing a Duplo 646 in the near future would make sense for our shop. Currently, we use a guillotine to cut and GW to perf and score. As I understand, you can barcode a job when you print it so the Duplo knows what to do when the job is loaded. Is that a separate software, or even necessary if you can program different jobs into the Duplo? Is it hard to learn to operate the Duplo?

We have a 618, I believe it runs mostly the same except for speed. Barcodes are mainly a time saver, all jobs are stored and recalled on the duplo. If you have a barcode you can just press the start button and it will automatically switch to that job you already had set up instead of looking through the job list yourself. The guys at duplo told me I'd probably need to get fiery impose to use them and the registration mark but I did figure it out on imposition studio. We already have that software and it was much cheaper. The manual has the barcode specifications and where to place them. I caught on to the duplo pretty quickly, I think if you know your way around things like imposition software it's pretty easy to learn.

We have a 618, I believe it runs mostly the same except for speed. Barcodes are mainly a time saver, all jobs are stored and recalled on the duplo. If you have a barcode you can just press the start button and it will automatically switch to that job you already had set up instead of looking through the job list yourself. The guys at duplo told me I'd probably need to get fiery impose to use them and the registration mark but I did figure it out on imposition studio. We already have that software and it was much cheaper. The manual has the barcode specifications and where to place them. I caught on to the duplo pretty quickly, I think if you know your way around things like imposition software it's pretty easy to learn.
Thank you! How long have you had your Duplo? Do you perf, crease and slit on it?

I've had a Duplo 646 for just over a year. You should take a look at the Duplo 618 because it has better software *46 and *45 series, and the Horizon Smartslitter if you can spend a little bit more. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone with one of those machines.

I've had a Duplo 646 for just over a year. You should take a look at the Duplo 618 because it has better software *46 and *45 series, and the Horizon Smartslitter if you can spend a little bit more. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone with one of those machines.
Thanks! We really don't need a slitter - but what makes the software easier on the 618? It seems to me the 646 can handle a more than the 618.

Thanks! We really don't need a slitter - but what makes the software easier on the 618? It seems to me the 646 can handle a more than the 618.
No JDF, metric input only, but there is a clunky imperial conversion. Setup of some operations is very cryptic. Max of 250 presets. You also can't use ten-key in numbers in some text boxes. Job templates have to be manually imported into Fiery Impose. The 618 can get templates sent to it from Fiery Impose saving a step. The 646 feeder is also terrible at separating mid-weight textured cover media. The Horizon Smartslitter is a slitter-cutter-creaser, not just a slitter. Take a look on Youtube. The 646 is not a horrible machine and we make money with it, but it is definitely not friendly.

No JDF, metric input only, but there is a clunky imperial conversion. Setup of some operations is very cryptic. Max of 250 presets. You also can't use ten-key in numbers in some text boxes. Job templates have to be manually imported into Fiery Impose. The 618 can get templates sent to it from Fiery Impose saving a step. The 646 feeder is also terrible at separating mid-weight textured cover media. The Horizon Smartslitter is a slitter-cutter-creaser, not just a slitter. Take a look on Youtube. The 646 is not a horrible machine and we make money with it, but it is definitely not friendly.
Good to know. I will keep that in mind.

I have a biased opinion as my company is a Duplo dealer. I would say that the 618 is far more bang for the buck than a 646. The PC Controller software, higher GSM rating, size and cost are all in favor of the 618. The benefit of the 646 comes if you are using more of the module upgrades like the RTM and CP. We are also the service dealer and both machines have very low amounts of service calls. They are extremely reliable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back