Dot Gain, Dot % and Dot Area?

drummerpaco

Good moning all...

I want to know difference betweeen Dot gain, Dot % and Dot Area.
I thought it was all same terminology that I reserve TVI and find out the values.

Well, I have to find out Dot Gain and Dot Area on 2%, 10%, 25%, 50%, 75% with Xrite 939. I already have printed bunch of press proof with 1% to 100% and like to know how to find out.

Can anybody help?

Good moning all...

I want to know difference betweeen Dot gain, Dot % and Dot Area.
I thought it was all same terminology that I reserve TVI and find out the values.

Well, I have to find out Dot Gain and Dot Area on 2%, 10%, 25%, 50%, 75% with Xrite 939. I already have printed bunch of press proof with 1% to 100% and like to know how to find out.

Can anybody help?

Dot gain is the % that a tone has grown. For example, if a halftone patch of 50% measures 62% then the dot gain is 12%. If a halftone patch of 20% measures 24% then the dot gain is 4%. Dot gain and TVI (tone value increase) mean the same thing. TVI is more inclusive a term because tone gain can happen where there is no halftone dot.

Dot area is the measured tone value. For example, if a halftone patch of 50% measures 62% then the dot gain is 12% and the dot area is 62%. If a halftone patch of 20% measures 24% then the dot gain is 4% and the dot area is 24%.

Dot % is simply the measure of the dot area. If a halftone patch measures 62% then that is its dot % or dot area. Dot % may also refer to the tone requested in the file. E.g. an Illustrator graphic that has been specified with a black dot % of 50%.

In your case, depending on what you are doing, the 2%, 10%, 25%, 50%, 75% might refer to the tone request in your original document or the measured halftone dot on the plate. In either case, if the 50% request, or patch on the plate, measures 64% on the press sheet then you have a dot gain of 14% and a dot area of 64% for the 50% patch.

best, gordo

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back