Dot proofer relevance

cmcfarling

I'm curious about peoples opinions on the relevance of digital halftone proofers in 2010 and beyond (i.e Fuji FinalProof, Kodak Approval, Creo Trensetter). What would be the compelling reasons for anyone that didn't have one to get one? For those that do have one, why stick with it vs. a cheaper, simpler inkjet solution? How important are dots on proof to you or your customers these days?

Chris

It was a buzz word.
Back in the day, dot proofs were the "thing". Everybody had to have one.
Now, due to the cost of a dot proof, and with the improvements in inkjet technology, nobody really "needs" a dot proof any more.
And, most are going with soft proofing, so no need for a hard proof, much less a dot proof.

HTH,
David

The most compelling reason I see for laminate "halftone" proofing systems has to do with their ability to laminate on the actual print substrate, rather than a substrate dedicated to the proofing device. I mostly see requests for these devices based on the requirement for mock ups/proofs on actual substrate rather than for the "dot proof" ability. Even these requests have been fewer and farther between though, as inkjet alternative move further in this area. Still. there are hold outs for dot proofs, particularly in Flexo, though inkjet proofs emulating halftones are being accepted more often.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back