Double Sided printing on QS3200

TJD12485

Hi, I work for a small business that manufactures PoP displays. We somewhat recently got into printing and acquired a Vutek QS3200. However we seem to be running into the same problem repeatedly, some of the pieces we print go on translucent styrene and polycarbonate to be backlit. We seem to have 2 choices to get the backlighting to work properly, either print at 540 DPI and do image>white flood>image or print at 1080 or 540 DPI and print a reversed image on the back. We have to have 2 hits of ink with the white for opacity, otherwise the images completely wash out when backlit.

The problem we keep encountering is that when trying to print double sided the registration is always off by 1/16"-1/8". This would be acceptable if the piece were not backlit, however when backlit and registration is off by even a hair the image looks fuzzy, as if you were looking at it cross eyed.

I was wondering if anyone else is encountering problems with double sided prints on the QS3200? Looking through their specifications for the printer online it seems that Vutek's double sided registration tolerance is 1/8". So I'm not even sure if its plausible to expect it to be perfect.

how do u print the second side? using the flip image on the printer or doing it in the RIP? We had a PV 200/600 and found that the flip on the machine was always out.

After a bit of playing, finding the correct offsets, setting up the second side became much easier by ripping the image in reverse.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back