DPM 2340 100% Blacks are Screened

jpfulton248

SOLVED. See posts below. Post numbers 6 and 7.

When I print certain files to my DPM 2340 sometimes the 100% blacks will come out screened (dot pattern). My wokflow is like this: 1) Indesign to pdf, 2) Print PDF to DPM 2340 RIP. If I look on the RIP in roam I can see the problem right there before I even print the plate. I check the indesign file and black is black. I check the PDF and I have definitely sometimes seen what was 100% black actually be like 93% black. I have tried various profiles exporting to PDF. I have tried various settings on the print dialog. I'm attaching screenshots of my InDesign settings in this post and Acrobat settings in the next (I can only post 5 pictures per post).

EDIT: Pictures were too low res embedded in my post so I put them in a zip file and attached.

Attachments

• photo6008.jpg
    photo6008.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 209
  • dpm 2340 print settings screenshots.zip
    244.2 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
The screenshots are too low res, can't see your settings. But the actual PDF might a better help, if you can share.

The black is just a box setup in Indesign. I'm working on getting an InDesign and resulting PDF file that I can upload.

Did you find out how to fix it? Having the same issues.

First make sure you do this. It might not be the solution but it will definitely save you some headaches

In InDesign go to: Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance of Black. Make sure that for Printing/Exporting you have "Output All Blacks Accurately". Then, in your file, make sure all your blacks are 100K black like this: 0/0/0/100 for C/M/Y/K rather than some type of Rich Black.

For us what we finally found is that on the Export Dialog in InDesign under Output, our Color selections were causing the problem (or at least they were part of the problem). We have a couple different custom color profiles -- one works, one doesn't.

Our settings that work are--

Color Conversion: Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers)
Destination: 65lb Accent Opaque (this is our custom icc profile that we generated off of a digital printer we have)

Output Intent Profile Name: 65lb Accent Opaque (again this is out custom icc profile)

PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want any more help.

For future visitors, I was contacted by another member with the same problem and my settings fixed his problem. I'm attaching a zip file with my icc profile, joboptions file for InDesign export to pdf profile, and screenshots of print settings in acrobat.

First read my post directly above this one.

Attachments

• dpm2340_screenedfix.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 218

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back