Dried things on the rollers.

After cleaning the rollers we've notice that there is a hard smooth white deposit on the rollers. The only way was can remove them is if we use a deglazer. I've included pictures of what the rollers look like.

Dried material on rollers 1 small.jpg

Dried material on rollers 2 small.jpg

Does anyone know what the cause is and how to prevent it? Thanks.

It looks like a calcium build up. Do you have any ink stripping problems while printing? the cheap solution would be to use vinegar/ warm water mix. A better solution use the Bottcher Calciumfix on a weekly basis.

That's probably calcium build up. The problem depends on the water hardness in your area. I hardly ever get it. But since products to combat it are made and sold at a profit, it's a real problem. Several of the fountain concentrate vendors have products for removing this. Bottcher makes a good one.

Once you get it off, keep it off by adding white vinegar in the water used during the wash up. You do use water with a water miscible wash during the wash up, don't you?

Al

Last edited:
Rollers Deposits

Rollers Deposits

They are deposits from running Paper made with coated/fillers - PCC ( precipitated calcium carbonate).

Regards,
Alois

Yup, use a de calcifier like the bottcher pro calciumfix..
We use it once a week end of shift friday, and the rollers still look new..
Just make sure you flush the gel off with water first untill it runs clean, then a final wash with a water misceble wah..

This normally happens when we use a particular ink supplier. When we use a different ink the problem seems to go away. We are currently using DS Chemport's roller and blanket wash. For our fountain solution we are using VARN's SUPREME 7086.

We'll try using a decalcifier to if it solves the problem. Any suggestions for a commericial decalcifier?

Everyone rates the botcher calciumfix paste but in my experience the best stuff is varns calcium deglazer, its in a 1 L bottle and is green in colour, it beats the botcher and every other product hands down and i work with tap water at 700mS mega Hard and 120,000 sheets of uncoated every day.

Paul

Paul I just got that varn stuff in, havn't used it yet, I'm guessing its still ok to use it once a week, at the weeker 1 too 5 parts water with no ill effects to the rollers?

i use that calcium deglazer out of the bottle, every day. Just make sure you give it a good wash off with de-ionised water.

Paul

Looks like paper build-up.
We get this with long runs.
Usually,we'll stop,wash units with roller wash, with scalding hot water. Then Febo awhile,and wash again.
We also Febo rollers and leave in over the weekend to condition the rollers. So,I think the Febo Clean does the trick.

Feboclean is a great product for keeping your rolllers in top conition, the calcium fix bottcher do is also great if you use it right, it can take a bit of getting out of the rollers but you will notice the difference when you get it right.

Differentiate between Calcium build up or Paper build up?

Differentiate between Calcium build up or Paper build up?

How would you differentiate between whether it is a calcium build up or a paper build up? The problem of the white build up does occur for our long run jobs ( or jobs which uses the same spot colour -- yellow and blue ).

Paper Build-up !!

Paper Build-up !!

Paper deposits are easily removed from the "Roller Trains" and do not leave "Hard to remove deposits" just look at the Pics that have been posted earlier about this problem, the problem is on the Rollers not " Paper Piling on the Blanket" but it can occur on Blanket, it shows up more on the rollers after a wash-up.

The problem is caused by " High Acidic Fountain Solutions"

Regards, Alois

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back