Duplo 4000

bhm8hwcm

Hi I was wondering if anybody has experience with running a Duplo 4000 system. Looking at buying a bookletmaker system. I have come across a used Duplo 4000 that is around 2004 in age. My concern is how it will work with digital jobs. Has a DC 10/60 Collator on it but not sure if these collators have changed a lot since then given lots more digital nowadays. I run both offset and digital.

Am comparing the system to a new Duplo DBM120 with DSC 10/20 collator etc. Looks like the 4000 is a more higher production system with more flexibility in terms of sheet size etc but is 7 years older for around same price.

Any thoughts?

Duplo 4000

Hi I was wondering if anybody has experience with running a Duplo 4000 system. Looking at buying a bookletmaker system. I have come across a used Duplo 4000 that is around 2004 in age. My concern is how it will work with digital jobs. Has a DC 10/60 Collator on it but not sure if these collators have changed a lot since then given lots more digital nowadays. I run both offset and digital.

Am comparing the system to a new Duplo DBM120 with DSC 10/20 collator etc. Looks like the 4000 is a more higher production system with more flexibility in terms of sheet size etc but is 7 years older for around same price.

Any thoughts?

We have an older Duplo 10000S. We upgraded the original DBM 100 bookmaker to the DBM 120. The 100 was awful but the 120 works well. Note however that the 120 has staple heads, not stitcher wire.

We find the biggest issue to be the collating. Given lots of coated stock with fuser oil, heavy toner coverage, & static, we typically print our digital jobs collated & hand feed into the bookmaker/trimmer. I would think that the newer the unit, the better able to handle digital jobs, so I would be inclined to look at the new unit.

Dave

Advantages

The system 4000 will accept a larger range of flat sheet sizes
350(w) x 500(L) - 120 (w) x 170(L)
Book thickness is 25 sheets x 80 gsm
Hohner wire stitching heads with flat and loop stitching
Higher productivity
Heavier duty

Disadvantages
Now nearing the end of its life so parts and service could be an issue
Could be expensive if its has not been regularly serviced. And will require a service contract if Duplo are to service the machine.
The tower collator has now moved on 3 times as we are on the DSC10/60i so a pre BG model could also be a problem in servicing
The tower will accept digital papers but vast improvements have been made to the feeding of both digital /offset papers with the new towers

A lot depends upon volumes and your requirements but I would feel that a new system would offer the you more opportunities to grow your business. you might wish to consider a system 3500 with wire heads ??

Digital bookletmaking

Digital bookletmaking

Hi I was wondering if anybody has experience with running a Duplo 4000 system... I run both offset and digital. Any thoughts?

Hi bhm8hwcm,
If you are looking to run digital pre-collated sets you will need a Feeder/Collator. Take a look at the Plockmatic systems as both their friction and vacuum feed units do both. Smart feeding pre-collated sets, and also capable of collating. The bookletmakers are also easy to use and produce a good book with Squarefold bind. Chris

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back