Duplo DC-646 v Duplo DC-618

BigSi

Hi there, tossing up between these two.

646. on the + side The 646 is an older machine (cheaper) + according to the spec sheet is a little faster.
The 618 is hard to get hold of second hand ( I can't afford a new one and even if I could the ROI does not really add up).

618. on the + side Newer technology.

Getting conflicting information on the max gsm these two are rated for? 646 350gsm?. 618 400gsm?. Not sure if this is correct?

Is there any one out there that has used both models. A big financial outlay for me so any advice is much appreciated.

thanks Simon

I've had my 646 double feed 270gsm coated media and cut it without incident, though without accuracy. The control software for the 646 is ancient- like 1990s ancient and we have to fight a myriad of accuracy and feed issues. It possible that we got a lemon machine though.

The 618 is spec'd for 400gsm and the 646 is spec'd for 350gsm - but I'd bet the 646 could handle 400gsm too.

The 646 has been around for a long time, but is also still actively sold as new. I would just caution you when buying any used slitter/cutter/creaser. A local print shop bought a used 616 and the rollers all developed flat spots and/or had worn out and needed to be replaced. The blades also go dull and I don't recall if they can be sharpened or have to be replaced. Either way, just like buying anything used, you could end up having a lot of immediate repair costs and may have been better off with a new one.

Look at this used 646 on ebay for $28,000. The 6th photo on the listing shows an invoice from Duplo for replacing the rollers and other parts which came to about $5,000 USD. There is another one that is listed for $18,500, but it has ran 5.1 million sheets, vs only 362,000 sheets on the $28k unit. Be sure to check the sheet count on whatever unit you're considering.

I'd go with a new 618 which is only $3,900 more (and also comes with a warranty) simply because of the newer interface and how it syncs with Impose on your Fiery controller layouts. Plus, with a new one, you can finance it instead of emptying your coffers.

thanks Jacob. All good information. Yes if the price difference is not huge I would tend to go for a new 618. The only thing I know is it will be heaps more expensive in this part of the world (everything is). thanks Simon

We've had a (new) 618 since November of '22 and it's been a gamechanger for us. If it were me I would go with 618 for the newer tech and not have to worry about the wear and tear on the used machine. The blades have to be replaced rather than sharpened (per Duplo, there might be a "hack" that I'm not aware of). When the tech was installing the 618 he said to leave the machine on all the time because it will go into rest mode, but it as long as the power is on it will rotate the rollers to avoid getting the flat spots. I'm not certain the the 646 has that tech. The only complaint that I have so far with the 618 is that occasionally it will output some small trimmings along with the prints, but only on occasion. Good luck!

Hi Guys. Just decided to pick up this thread again. Thanks for the feedback so far. I have decided to throw the DC- 745 into the mix. I see a few of these coming up on the market. How does this machine compare (spec wise) to the 618 and 646. Is the 745 older or newer than the 646?. I realize its older than the 618. I can't seem to get a second hand 618 (to new) which is my first preference. Your thoughts are appreciated. ta Simon

The 745 is older than the 646, but 33% faster at 40 sheets per minute vs 30 sheets per minute max speed. Depending on the wear, you may need to replace belts and rollers. Be sure to get a copy of the Duplo PC Controller software for job setup and a service manual. The 618 and 648 have improved software over the 745 and 646.

Thanks Toby. I did not realize the 745 was launched before the 646. I really have my heart set on a 618. Can't justify the ROI on a brand new one. Eventually will find a good used one. (Not from the states, your electrical connections are different).

I am in the same boat and very interested in the Duplo 616 OR the 618. I know the 616 maxes out at 350 GSM and the 618 maxes at 400 GSM. Any other huge differences or concerns one way or the other? Agreed with BigSi a used model for either vs the ridiculous cost of a new one.

Few things on these machines. First series to the next series. 615-616 645-646-648 745-746 618 is a mix of old and new ideas. Sticking with the new stuff. 616 machine you cant take out the modules if you get a jam. Pain to clear. Where as the 645/745 series and above you can. Makes it much easier to clean rollers and clear jams. Slitter blades need replacement. They get worn and smaller as they wear. When they wear you might get a slight adjustment more but it wont last for long. I find the blades last about 1 million sheets. But depending on stock you can get more. Same with the cutter and rollers.
Used are ok but the expensive stuff to replace is the rollers, slitter blades and cutter unit. Now your up to a new machine price. So shop wisely. The software on the 618+648 is totally different from all the other machines.

Few things on these machines. First series to the next series. 615-616 645-646-648 745-746 618 is a mix of old and new ideas. Sticking with the new stuff. 616 machine you cant take out the modules if you get a jam. Pain to clear. Where as the 645/745 series and above you can. Makes it much easier to clean rollers and clear jams. Slitter blades need replacement. They get worn and smaller as they wear. When they wear you might get a slight adjustment more but it wont last for long. I find the blades last about 1 million sheets. But depending on stock you can get more. Same with the cutter and rollers.
Used are ok but the expensive stuff to replace is the rollers, slitter blades and cutter unit. Now your up to a new machine price. So shop wisely. The software on the 618+648 is totally different from all the other machines.
Worth stickying this? Certainly the most useful, concise summary of these Duplos I've come across.

Been abusing my new 618 I picked up over a year ago and it's fantastic. I was worried about the ROI but for the work it soes, I'd do it all over again now. I also leave my machine on all the time to avoid flat spots.

Tech is great. Accuracy is amazing and I'll get weird cuts or misfeeds very rarely. Tech who installed the machine said the rollers should last a very long time. Blades not so sure. Hopefully sooner than later someone can share their experience about swapping them. I know the cutter is just an easy swap but can cost a pretty penny. Blades probably need to be replaced by a tech. What's the sequence of buttons you press to get into the service section to check the page count? I'm curious about mine.

We went from a 645 to a 618. We had to drop the 645 because it was End of Life from Duplo and parts were getting scarce. I wonder if you would have the same issue with a DC745 - EOL and parts. The 618 is great.

Been abusing my new 618 I picked up over a year ago and it's fantastic. I was worried about the ROI but for the work it soes, I'd do it all over again now. I also leave my machine on all the time to avoid flat spots.

Tech is great. Accuracy is amazing and I'll get weird cuts or misfeeds very rarely. Tech who installed the machine said the rollers should last a very long time. Blades not so sure. Hopefully sooner than later someone can share their experience about swapping them. I know the cutter is just an easy swap but can cost a pretty penny. Blades probably need to be replaced by a tech. What's the sequence of buttons you press to get into the service section to check the page count? I'm curious about mine.
Swapping rollers? Keep them clean with mild stuff like Simple green. Slitters can be changed as a whole head assy or rebuilt with just new blades. New heads are more $$ but rebuilding takes more labor$$. Not a huge savings. Yes the cutter and its motor get replaced as a whole unit. They wear out about the same time.

IMO calculating the ROI and justifying a slitter/cutter/creasers should be come at differently to other equipment, because in most cases the device is not an absolute 'must have'. By that, I mean you MUST have a guillotine (stack cutter), folder, booklet maker etc. otherwise you're unable to do certain core jobs. Whereas you can still do business cards, postcards, etc. on the guillotine and can most likely crease or score using another device, Autocreaser, etc. or whatever's in your shop. You can still do tent cards by applying double sided tape on the flap if you can't make slits. Etc, etc...

We don't currently have an SCC, however I totally get why those with, tend to love them and we may at some point end up getting one. To justify the purchase though, I'm interested in how many hours finishing labour can be saved by not having someone standing at the guillotine cutting business cards, etc and offsetting that against the depreciation and cost of maintenance. Whereas with core items, typically you have to equip your shop with them before you've got the work for them.

IMO calculating the ROI and justifying a slitter/cutter/creasers should be come at differently to other equipment, because in most cases the device is not an absolute 'must have'. By that, I mean you MUST have a guillotine (stack cutter), folder, booklet maker etc. otherwise you're unable to do certain core jobs. Whereas you can still do business cards, postcards, etc. on the guillotine and can most likely crease or score using another device, Autocreaser, etc. or whatever's in your shop. You can still do tent cards by applying double sided tape on the flap if you can't make slits. Etc, etc...

We don't currently have an SCC, however I totally get why those with, tend to love them and we may at some point end up getting one. To justify the purchase though, I'm interested in how many hours finishing labour can be saved by not having someone standing at the guillotine cutting business cards, etc and offsetting that against the depreciation and cost of maintenance. Whereas with core items, typically you have to equip your shop with them before you've got the work for them.
I agree, I always think these are an amazing bit of kit but i do think it's a complicated ROI calculation which alot of printers get wrong.

We have a stack cutter so it would take a huge increase in jobs to justify something like this.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back