Duplo DC646 Any Good?

gazfocus

I've got the opportunity to buy a Duplo DC646 for what seems like a really good price. I'm just wondering if they're any good.

I'm thinking it'll be useful for short run business cards, postcards and greeting cards but at the same time, I already have a full size guillotine so not sure whether I'm wasting money just to have a nice toy. My thinking is I can set up job templates and then get staff to run it rather than me having to do the cutting all the time on the guillotine, but obviously, can cut much higher volumes, much quicker, on the guillotine.

Thoughts appreciated :)

I have the smaller Duplo DC-618 and can tell you it’s a workhorse. These aren’t replacements for your guillotine, but they bring profit back to short run jobs. Once you have the templates setup, it’s load and walk away. I understand the blades can be expensive to replace so maybe leave some room in your budget for replacement and enjoy your new toy!

I've got the opportunity to buy a Duplo DC646 for what seems like a really good price. I'm just wondering if they're any good.

I can't imagine not having one at this point. Your digital operator can run it while other jobs are printing. It cuts business cards better than you can do with a regular cutter, and if you keep your imposition the same on jobs, it's a super quick and easy way to go. Plus the creasing and performation is perfect since you'll crease, then cut at the same time. Accuracy is great. Get it!

Fantastic machine only thing to be aware of is the type of Sponge rollers on the 646. Original 646 had a casing Sponge roller, then Duplo released a soft gray sponge roller. It is not held up very well and after about 150 K you might see a problem with skewing where you need to have them replaced. So if you can find one that has the original black rollers and they’re in good shape. You have a great machine that will last a long time.

Fantastic machine only thing to be aware of is the type of Sponge rollers on the 646. Original 646 had a casing Sponge roller, then Duplo released a soft gray sponge roller. It is not held up very well and after about 150 K you might see a problem with skewing where you need to have them replaced. So if you can find one that has the original black rollers and they’re in good shape. You have a great machine that will last a long time.
I've had this very issue. The replacement rollers are about $2200USD.

I'm thinking it'll be useful for short run business cards, postcards and greeting cards but at the same time, I already have a full size guillotine so not sure whether I'm wasting money just to have a nice toy. My thinking is I can set up job templates and then get staff to run it rather than me having to do the cutting all the time on the guillotine, but obviously, can cut much higher volumes, much quicker, on the guillotine.

Thoughts appreciated :)
yes, it's an excellent machine. As others have said, be aware that you may need to change out the rollers depending on the age and mileage. Additionally, the slitter wheels and cutting blade can wear out over time which can add some additional upfront cost. Try running a bunch of sheets through it to test it out. Be aware that paper lighter than 100# text will not run through these machines reliably. They are meant more for cardstock. Make sure you get the dongle for the computer software. It's much easier to setup jobs on the PC than on the little touch screen.

yes, it's an excellent machine. As others have said, be aware that you may need to change out the rollers depending on the age and mileage. Additionally, the slitter wheels and cutting blade can wear out over time which can add some additional upfront cost. Try running a bunch of sheets through it to test it out. Be aware that paper lighter than 100# text will not run through these machines reliably. They are meant more for cardstock. Make sure you get the dongle for the computer software. It's much easier to setup jobs on the PC than on the little touch screen.
Thanks, it’s from a company that buys machines from print shops and refurbs them so should all be in good condition but will get them to run a few tests for me, and will check it comes with the dongle. I’ve been offered it for about half what they’re selling on eBay for as a pre-sale price with being an existing customer of there’s so definitely a good deal if I buy it.

I had earmarked the money to get something to crease and fold 350gsm card as I currently only have a creaser so have to fold manually but that can wait haha.

My Duplo DC-618 is a workhorse. Can't imagine not having it, especially cutting business cards, or cutting/scoring not cards.

Absolutely love my 646. Game changer for a digital shop. It's push button operation and therefore very efficient for multitasking.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back