Duplo Dusense doing labels

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a Duplo Dusense spot uv coater and I have been told that I will face challenges with label stock self adhesive. According to many I will need to find a thicker and stronger substrate for it to pass through the Duplo. Was anyone in this situation before and can recommend me a suitable self adhesive material for this application? I will be printing on an HP Indigo.

Best

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a Duplo Dusense spot uv coater and I have been told that I will face challenges with label stock self adhesive. According to many I will need to find a thicker and stronger substrate for it to pass through the Duplo. Was anyone in this situation before and can recommend me a suitable self adhesive material for this application? I will be printing on an HP Indigo.

Best
What is the weight/thickness of your label substrate?
A quick Google indicates the Dusense accepts "Coated paper 160 to 450 GSM"

What is the weight/thickness of your label substrate?
A quick Google indicates the Dusense accepts "Coated paper 160 to 450 GSM
We use 180 gsm. However, according to almost everyone i asked it will not pass. A more rigid and layflat surface is required. I am searching for something around 200 gsm or a bit higher.

I don't know anything about the duplo you are looking at, but I bought a duplo 310 die-cutter after sending them die layouts. They signed off and said the machine is exactly what I need. Well, it has been a nightmare. Their install guy installed it wrong, I've spent 100+ hours jury rigging the machine and have to run it with safety's bypassed. They don't respond to my questions with full answers. The new company servicing it for me is ready to give up because they don't respond to them either. They sold me a $10,000 conveyor that was useless for my types of jobs that I've taken apart and put up on a shelf. We had duplo equipment in the past and were impressed by them, but they have been a nightmare since I bought this machine. You may have a better experience, but I thought you should know. If I could do it over again, I would. I get better support on machines I buy from China. Pretty sad.

I don't know anything about the duplo you are looking at, but I bought a duplo 310 die-cutter after sending them die layouts. They signed off and said the machine is exactly what I need. Well, it has been a nightmare. Their install guy installed it wrong, I've spent 100+ hours jury rigging the machine and have to run it with safety's bypassed. They don't respond to my questions with full answers. The new company servicing it for me is ready to give up because they don't respond to them either. They sold me a $10,000 conveyor that was useless for my types of jobs that I've taken apart and put up on a shelf. We had duplo equipment in the past and were impressed by them, but they have been a nightmare since I bought this machine. You may have a better experience, but I thought you should know. If I could do it over again, I would. I get better support on machines I buy from China. Pretty sad.
There's so much wrong with this account. If YOU are buying a machine, YOU sign it off, not the vendor! ...and only after extensive testing with a variety of your jobs - real jobs on your substrates. However that's not the reason I'm posting - it's the part I've highlighted in red that's the issue. Do not do this! No if's, but's or exceptions, just don't do it. If you are a one man operation, you could end up with a life changing injury. If you are an employer, your employee could end up with a life changing injury and you with a significant fine, serving time and losing your business (or a combination thereof).

Thank you for your concern... it is a cover bypass and there is no choice. The alterations needed to run the jobs required the delivery cover to be removed and a 'Tupperware' delivery tray hung on a crossbar. If i were just running scalloped postcards like in their video I could use the conveyor, but how do you deliver 20" sheets onto a conveyor with a 8" tray... makes a mess. And the boxes run have so many pieces that they just jam up on the conveyor... hence the Tupperware tray... and a slew of other additions.

This machine was new to me and seemed fine on the first job I ran. I didn't have daily work for it and I was getting pressure from Canon to sign off on the both pieces of equipment... their copier and the Duplo. I haven't bought a lot of equipment and counted on the 'honesty' of the manufacturer. Now I've become an untrusting a-hole because of them and I hate it. I bought the first one in the area so there wasn't even an opportunity to go see it. I sent them layouts and the stock and they said it would work. They lied and I learned my lesson.

thanks

Oh, and one more thing regarding the safety bypass... Duplo and the installer didn't respond one little peep when I told them what I had to do. I even sent them videos. They really just don't care. No offer to come up with a solution on their end. This was both the sales department and service department at Duplo plus I showed it to one of their managers at the Vegas print show on my phone. Just shrugged... didn't care. From their point of view, I guess the sale was done... they were paid by the leasing company and it isn't their problem anymore... it is mine.

Oh, and one more thing regarding the safety bypass... Duplo and the installer didn't respond one little peep when I told them what I had to do. I even sent them videos. They really just don't care. No offer to come up with a solution on their end. This was both the sales department and service department at Duplo plus I showed it to one of their managers at the Vegas print show on my phone. Just shrugged... didn't care. From their point of view, I guess the sale was done... they were paid by the leasing company and it isn't their problem anymore... it is mine.
It's hard to think of ANY piece of equipment I've run in 30 plus years in this biz.. that I didn't have to jerry rig something on it. Or work around the designed software BS. And sometimes.. the first things to do are to defeat the very often ridiculous "safeties" that only contribute to safety because... you can't get hurt, if you can't run the machine.

Too late now but I was given the advice by several vendors not to make my first lease payment or any payments until the issues I had were resolved. It makes it a whole lot easier to have the equipment removed by the vendor, in my case I kept the Duplo and had the Canon removed. Counting on honesty never works out well for the honest guy.

It’s unfortunate that you’re having this experience with Duplo but you should keep pushing until you reach the right person that can get your problem resolved.

Removing safety devices can always be done but at your own risk and Duplo will not want to have anything to do with removing them. I always ran my AB Dick presses without the front safety cages, and I know a lot of people did. I had a local shop ask me if I still had my covers because his insurance agent wouldn’t write a policy without the cages installed.

Too late now but I was given the advice by several vendors not to make my first lease payment or any payments until the issues I had were resolved. It makes it a whole lot easier to have the equipment removed by the vendor, in my case I kept the Duplo and had the Canon removed. Counting on honesty never works out well for the honest guy.

It’s unfortunate that you’re having this experience with Duplo but you should keep pushing until you reach the right person that can get your problem resolved.

Removing safety devices can always be done but at your own risk and Duplo will not want to have anything to do with removing them. I always ran my AB Dick presses without the front safety cages, and I know a lot of people did. I had a local shop ask me if I still had my covers because his insurance agent wouldn’t write a policy without the cages installed.
It sucks having integrity. Live, get kicked in the nethers, learn.

thanks

Im surprised about what you say about Duplo. I agree there are some dealers who have left customers hung out to dry after the sale but usually not the Mfg. I dont know anything about your machine either so I cant shed any light on the issue. Maybe withholding the payments would get a ear to listen to you.

Im surprised about what you say about Duplo. I agree there are some dealers who have left customers hung out to dry after the sale but usually not the Mfg. I dont know anything about your machine either so I cant shed any light on the issue. Maybe withholding the payments would get a ear to listen to you.
I was surprised by Duplo also. The first dealer was garbage (but I was told he was the best in town)... The second one seems more capable but Duplo isn't replying to them either... not just on my machine, but on several Duplo machines that they are taking care of. Go figure.

since the lease is held by Canon financial, Duplo has been paid.... they won't care what I do with payments. I've asked Canon for help and they have done very little. I'm guessing since I'm a little guy and have only bought one piece of Duplo equipment from them and they sell Duplo nationwide to much bigger players than me, they care more about the other relationships.

Duplo and Canon lost another order as I bought a foiling laminator direct from China. If things were different, I probably would have bought it from Duplo, but I won't ever touch another piece of equipment from them again. On the plus side, I saved a lot of money vs Duplo. Even if the Duplo may be built better, in the long run I can buy an additional 3 from China and still not spend as much as the 1 Duplo, but so far all of the equipment I've bought direct from China has held up well... and they respond to requests for help, unlike Duplo.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back