Easiest way to fix broken/corrupt/weird PDFs?

akalaray

Hi folks,

We receive lots of 'office' documents which we have to print, either through Command Workstation or a KM controller/driver.

We frequently get weird PDF's, stuff like: scanned documents with irregular page sizes, comment boxes sitting outside the page dimensions, weird fonts in foreign languages. This often makes the fiery or the printer driver throw a wobbly and refuse to process them.

For our new printers i am looking for a simple solution to 'fix' these PDF's so that they will print and i'm looking for suggestions. Ricoh suggested Pitstop Server, but it's quite expensive for something that will probably only be used once every few weeks or even months. It should also be easy to use. In the past I've sometimes been able to re-print as PDF's, or print on a basic office printer and scan them back in. Quality is not an issue - as long as the documents are legible.
Try PitStop Pro - Single seat, much more affordable

Reactions: bcr

Magnus59

Get Pitstop Pro, if your documents are coming from Office, use the built in Preflight profile "Just make my Office documents work" This will fix 95% of your Office doc problems

jwheeler

Hi folks,

We receive lots of 'office' documents which we have to print, either through Command Workstation or a KM controller/driver.

We frequently get weird PDF's, stuff like: scanned documents with irregular page sizes, comment boxes sitting outside the page dimensions, weird fonts in foreign languages. This often makes the fiery or the printer driver throw a wobbly and refuse to process them.

For our new printers i am looking for a simple solution to 'fix' these PDF's so that they will print and i'm looking for suggestions. Ricoh suggested Pitstop Server, but it's quite expensive for something that will probably only be used once every few weeks or even months. It should also be easy to use. In the past I've sometimes been able to re-print as PDF's, or print on a basic office printer and scan them back in. Quality is not an issue - as long as the documents are legible.
We get these from our customers too...and we have KM printers. I have 2 quick fixes that work for 99% of the jobs and they don't require PitStop or any other 3rd party software, just Acrobat Pro. Go to the Advanced menu and select "Preflight". Assuming you're running digitally, select the "Digital Printing" category, then "Digital BW" or "Digital Color". Then select "Analyze and Fix". This usually does the trick. If it still doesn't work, then in the Adobe Acrobat Print dialogue box, click on "Advanced" (bottom left), then check the "Print As Image" box at the top. For small text, I usually change it to 600dpi. It will take a bit longer to RIP this way, but it's essentially the same as rasterizing/flattening in photoshop.

tngcas

We get these from our customers too...and we have KM printers. I have 2 quick fixes that work for 99% of the jobs and they don't require PitStop or any other 3rd party software, just Acrobat Pro. Go to the Advanced menu and select "Preflight". Assuming you're running digitally, select the "Digital Printing" category, then "Digital BW" or "Digital Color". Then select "Analyze and Fix". This usually does the trick. If it still doesn't work, then in the Adobe Acrobat Print dialogue box, click on "Advanced" (bottom left), then check the "Print As Image" box at the top. For small text, I usually change it to 600dpi. It will take a bit longer to RIP this way, but it's essentially the same as rasterizing/flattening in photoshop.
That's helpful. Thanks!

bcr

thanks!

michaelejahn

or, you can educate your customer. If they want a reliable printed result, they need to make a reliable PDF.

Save as PDF/X

bcr

or, you can educate your customer. If they want a reliable printed result, they need to make a reliable PDF.

Save as PDF/X
not everyone works in a commercial print environment. i mentioned above we are printing evidence in lawsuits. the evidence comes how it comes.

eemDesign

Callas pdfToolbox Desktop can be a solution. It was around 500 EUR/USD last time I've checked.
I can endorse Puch's reply.

I have also been an Affinity user since the beginning. Affinity products do ask for fonts used in PDFs that most of the time open correctly in Acrobat/Reader and Illustrator without any warnings. Callas pdfToolbox Desktop is a good solution for you.

Automatically Autonomous Automation

Automatically Autonomous Automation
Although the autonomous car is not quite ready, a lights out print operation is something you can do right now if you have a comprehensive Print MIS (Management Information System). The advantages can put money on your bottom line. So what’s your next step? Link to Article