ECRM VR36 can't change exposure

tekcontrol

I've an ECRM Scrptsetter VR36 with an old Harlequin Based ECRM Rip version 3.2. The issue is that if I change the exposure it does not reflect it on the film, the exposure keeps constant at 4.5x dmax. All the exposure sweep tests look the same, no matter what value is on. I even try to change the exposure value at the imagesetter itself (under local mode) but the result is the same. I also try using local and remote modes, but the problem persists. Any ideas?

tekcontrol do you remember the exposure value for VR(L)s consists of two parts:
First digit 0-1-2-3 is number of Neutral density filter
Two others 00-31 are exposure value. ???

Last edited:
0XX means NO FILTER and possibly exposure variation from 12 to 28 could not be recognised by your densitometer because you still get 4.5D max
And 000 does not mean you turn the laser OFF!!!
Try 2XX - that means 50% neutral density filter used .
If you'll get the same 4.5D - use 3XX.
If you still have 4.5D, that means you have a mechanical issue with ND filter changer and VR36 uses "open frame" all time.

Here it is from ECRM RIP manual:
Newer recorder models use an exposure setting scheme with a
linearly increasing exposure range of 000 to 255 with all values
having meaning. 000 is the lightest exposure setting and 255 is
the darkest.
Older recorder models use a different exposure setting scheme.
The first digit may be set to 0, 1, 2, or 3 and represents an
increasing neutral density filter setting. The higher the number,
the darker the apparent filter, and the lower the exposure value
as measured on the film. The last two digits may be set to any
value from 00 to 31 and represent increasing exposure settings
to the laser. The higher the number, the higher the exposure setting.
In this scheme, 031 is the darkest setting and 300 is the
lightest.

Last edited:
Thanks Vlad, finally I use 331, it's an old machine and with that exposure the quality is acceptable, at other exposures I've some lines at 50% to 90% screens.

The VR should not exhibit banding or lines across the film unless you drop the laser intensity by a lot i.e. density below 2.5 which is ridiculous. The VR may need serious cleaning optics and drive system - motor, belts and pulleys.
Is your imagesetter rubber roller capstan or was it upgraded to the better precision drive system i.e. multisegmented roller system ?

Dear Vlad/ Maxon

I have an ECRM 46. since a few days we are having problems like losing part of the graphics or the background or some texts. As software we are using Corel X4. Please kindly help

Dear Vlad

Thank u for quick reply. I have scanned the images but I am not so sure how to forward them to you as I do not have your mail address. I am not sofrequent to this forum and I shall be grateful if you could kindly help.

Regards

anilhans,

Preview all jobs in roam before outputting on film, check image and text integrity. Not unusual for an old rip to fail when you send out postscript from an application like X4. Besides, Corel is notorious for causing problems with rip processing various parts of graphics missing, banding in shadows etc the most predictable seem to have been corel 10 then 12 or 13 for some reason. In Corel you should use a specific set of options when preparing the postscript, or do you export pdf ? Depending on the rip version it's a bit of a trial and error. Use the most 'forgiving' options in print if the rip is v.5.x or older.

Tell us what rip verison do you have.

We had issues on a Mako 46, we thought it was a RIP error, but it was in fact the laser diode on the blink, density was very erratic -image shifting & 'lazy' lines through the output at the start of run, is your density consistently high ? - as stated carefully check your Preview carefully. Running your laser at such a high power is not good long term, 3.8-4.2D is what you should be operating at.

http://www.imagesetting.com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back