EFI ColorProof 3.1.8 linearization?

stargate

How do you re-linearize EFI Colorproof driven e7800? I am very familiar with gmg and cgs but not in efi.
What is the best way?

Optimize profile or re-linearize by measurement? If re-linearize by measurement which one is the best for that. Do you make a new lab correction or optimize existing? What's pros and cons?

Lets assume that I don't have Color Manager option.

> Optimize profile or re-linearize by measurement?

Two different things entirely.

Optimize profile is the process of fine-tuning the proofer profile compared against the desired output, by repeatedly printing a target, measuring it, and tweaking until no further adjustments offer any gain. Not a necessary step in most cases, but it can improve a small number of color matches.

Re-linearize is to "check up" on the plotters condition at any point in time. When you first set up, the device is measured and a linearization is created. Next month that could change, due to wear, ink changes, etc. So it's a good idea to re-linearize on a regular basis, to keep things consistent over time. A "re" linearization is much quicker than the full one at initial setup for any stock.

I overwrite my last lin as opposed to a lab correction. Less files that way. I have the last backed up in either case, to save my butt if something goes wrong.

> Lets assume that I don't have Color Manager option.

Then you couldn't do either anyway. You must have it if you're asking the question. ??? Unless I'm not understanding a "color-manager-less" installation of the EFI Colorproof. I have it, so I don't know what you get when you don't have it.

William Campbell
Revere Graphics Portland Oregon USA
[email protected]

Well, I have Color Manager but client doesn't have it.

Most systems are sold usually without Color Manager (only Lin Tool), no Color Verifier and no Dot Creator options to save the cost. On the other hand most of customers don't have qualified/trained employees that can use all the options in the system. In this case either dealer comes and creates media profiles with their dongle or you can make it yourself if you have ProfileMaker or Profiler. Then you use Profile Connector to link this icc to epl and 3cc.

I guess I was not clear enough. The question is what tool do you use to re-linearize proofer in efi with Lin Tool only.

Another question is how do you match 2 proofers to each other. I am talking about something as simple as two exact Epsons 7800 using the same paper. Not let say Epson 7880 to Hp Z3200. What do you do?

Well, I have Color Manager but client doesn't have it.

Most systems are sold usually without Color Manager (only Lin Tool), no Color Verifier and no Dot Creator options to save the cost. On the other hand most of customers don't have qualified/trained employees that can use all the options in the system. In this case either dealer comes and creates media profiles with their dongle or you can make it yourself if you have ProfileMaker or Profiler. Then you use Profile Connector to link this icc to epl and 3cc.

I guess I was not clear enough. The question is what tool do you use to re-linearize proofer in efi with Lin Tool only.

Another question is how do you match 2 proofers to each other. I am talking about something as simple as two exact Epsons 7800 using the same paper. Not let say Epson 7880 to Hp Z3200. What do you do?

The lin tool is a subset of color manager. Since I have the full deal, I'll guess at how this works when you don't have it all. The lin tool is used to create the initial linearization, and to periodically update at the plotter drifts. This is also how two separate plotters are brought into agreement. Each has its own linearization. So that is something the customer can do.

It would not *necessarily* be required that a dealer or tech support of some kind use their dongle on the user's machine to build a profile. All they must do is print the appropriate target once one of the plotters is linearized. Then ship that printed target to the dealer and they can make the profile with a fully-enabled version of the Colorproof.

I would HIGHLY suggest, for users of the EFI rip, to use Color Manager to make your profiles. I have done it both ways (using Color Manager versus other profiling products), and the EFI profiles are FAR superior. Our proofs are so close to a press sheet it's scary. In fact, it also makes us lose business to our premium Fuji FinalProof. Our Epsons look that close to color.

William Campbell
[email protected]

The difference between Color Manager and Lin Tool is that Lin Tool doesn't have options (buttons) for:
Create Media Profile, Create device Link Profile, Create Reference Profile and Edit White Point.

I agree that dealer can also make profile if he gets the chart for end user.

OK, but what is the exact procedure to match 2 proofers in efi? you have epl (linearization and ink limits) icc (paper profile for that epl), icc for for target and 3cc file (match to target). What do you do?

eg. in gmg it's as easy as moving and iterate the same mx3 (calibration) file on the other proofer.

The difference between Color Manager and Lin Tool is that Lin Tool doesn't have options (buttons) for:
Create Media Profile, Create device Link Profile, Create Reference Profile and Edit White Point.

That makes sense. The above relate to profiling, not linearizing.

OK, but what is the exact procedure to match 2 proofers in efi? you have epl (linearization and ink limits) icc (paper profile for that epl), icc for for target and 3cc file (match to target). What do you do?

I'm at some disadvantage since I have all the options, so I don't know the exact options available, but I can guess --

Select "Create Base Linearization." The idea here is that you will do this more than once, for more than one plotter. Each instance will be independent of every other plotter you will be printing to. As long as the same paper is used, going to the same model of plotter, the icc profile should work between multiple plotters. But not the linearization. So do this step from start to finish for each plotter.

This will create multiple .epl files. One for each plotter.

Next (assuming this option is available) you will select "Profile connector." Here you select each .epl, and tell it what profile to use. Again, a process to be repeated for each plotter that shares the same profile. Select different .epl files, but for each instance, select the same icc profile, and save the .epl files (it's fine to save over the original).

The target profile is done in the workflow setup, and of course (or at least I would assume) should be the same target if you expect the output to match across multiple plotters (obvious, I would think). The additional file (3cc) is a correction file I believe, and I just don't do it that way (seems like extra convolution to me). When I make a correction, I save over the original .epl or .icc. Keeps things easier to understand.

All this works, of course, in the situation you describe, provided someone has made a profile.

Is the process making sense yet?

William Campbell
[email protected]

The lin tool is a subset of color manager. Since I have the full deal, I'll guess at how this works when you don't have it all. The lin tool is used to create the initial linearization, and to periodically update at the plotter drifts. This is also how two separate plotters are brought into agreement. Each has its own linearization. So that is something the customer can do.

It would not *necessarily* be required that a dealer or tech support of some kind use their dongle on the user's machine to build a profile. All they must do is print the appropriate target once one of the plotters is linearized. Then ship that printed target to the dealer and they can make the profile with a fully-enabled version of the Colorproof.

I would HIGHLY suggest, for users of the EFI rip, to use Color Manager to make your profiles. I have done it both ways (using Color Manager versus other profiling products), and the EFI profiles are FAR superior. Our proofs are so close to a press sheet it's scary. In fact, it also makes us lose business to our premium Fuji FinalProof. Our Epsons look that close to color.

William Campbell
[email protected]

I agree, we just got rid of our Kodak Approval.

It make sense. So, to have a match between 2 printers basically you need to have 2 generate different epl files (one for each printer). epl files have the same media profile attached (which is made within efi or third part application). What I don't understand is that you don't have 3cc files. Target is picked in workflows but hoe do you get a match to target if you don't have 3cc file?

Why efi generated media profile is far superior to one made with Monaco or ProfileMaker? It's just easier to use within efi as it is integrated very well. There is not much options when you create media profile. In ProfileMaker you have much more options.

What I don't understand is that you don't have 3cc files. Target is picked in workflows but how do you get a match to target if you don't have 3cc file?

3cc files are "LAB correction files." These are an option, not a necessity. When optimizing a profile to improve delta E, you have the choice of either writing over the existing profile, or appending it with a 3cc file, which will be read and incorporated into the data. Me, I figure, fewer files == simplicity, so I overwrite the existing profile instead of appending another.

To get the "match" you speak of, two profiles are involved:

1. the target profile (also called 'output,' and in some cases poorly referred to as 'source' which only confuses matters). This profile is selected in the workflow. For me, I use GRACoL 2006 coated (which was not provided by EFI, rather obtained elsewhere. It's in the latest Photoshop for example).

2. the proofer or printer profile. This is what is created using Color Manager (or other profiling software) as a result of reading targets produced by the brand of plotter that will be used (after linearization of course). This profile is selected in the output device column.

Color management only requires two profiles, in and out. The target is the "in" profile, communicating what you want the image to look like, and the "out" is the printer profile, which tells the color management module how to arrive at the desired colors, when printing to that plotter.

One of the problems with color management is that this concept of in and out could be express exactly the opposite as well (hence the target getting the label of 'source'). We could as well say the 'in' is the printer profile, and the 'out' is the output profile (makes sense, eh?). It's all a terminology issue, that's all. The bottom line is that it doesn't matter as long as you remember -- the target, output, or source profile as it may be called, is your desired color space to reach. The proofer or printer profile is the color space of the device you are printing to. It knows the capabilities of the printer you have available. Knowing that, and knowing what you want (target, output, source profile), color management pulls those two together and gives you what you want. Clear as mud?

The .3cc file is an extension of the printer profile. It is an adjustment to that profile, that's all. If you save over the original when optimizing the profile, this file is not needed. However, if the file exists (because someone else did it that way), simply supply the .3cc file and use it as intended. It works either way, but the basic concept is still the same -- color management works on only two profiles, in and out.

Why efi generated media profile is far superior to one made with Monaco or ProfileMaker? It's just easier to use within efi as it is integrated very well. There is not much options when you create media profile. In ProfileMaker you have much more options.

I couldn't say why it's better, other than looking by eye, the results are better. And yes, easier due to the splendid integration. Perhaps the lack of options is why it's better -- less knobs to turn the wrong way. Really, it probably boils down to better programming and color science, and specialization. The EFI color manager is not trying to profile everything possible. Just inkjet printers. So in that sense, the programmers are specializing on that aspect of color management, and the result of their efforts are certainly visible to the naked eye. I have not had near the success in matching color across a sheet with any other profiling system or software. The EFI package is a cut above the rest.

William Campbell
[email protected]

Now it makes sense. Instead of making separate 3cc file you incorporate this correction in epl. You are right efi makes lots of intermediate files. On one hand it's a bit confusing but on the other you have possibility to open "session" I am not sure how to call this, so I am calling like a Profiler session. And you can continue or change some settings and get a different results without starting from the scratch. If you incorporate 3cc correction in your epl, I am wondering how do you calibrate (linearize) your printer again? I thought calibrating is to make a new 3cc file on top of epl. Keep epl always the same, and just change (overwrite) 3cc.
You are not redoing the whole epl right?

Last edited:
If you incorporate 3cc correction in your epl, I am wondering how do you calibrate (linearize) your printer again? I thought calibrating is to make a new 3cc file on top of epl. Keep epl always the same, and just change (overwrite) 3cc.

3cc is not related to .epl files. 3cc is a adjustment to an .icc file, the generated proofer/paper profile. The .epl files are for linearization, not profiling.

You are not redoing the whole epl right?

No. A couple targets are printed, read, and can either be incorporated into the existing .epl file or a new one is generated.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back