EFI Vutek Fiery RIP - Spot colours WITHOUT colour management

PrintFX

Hello,

I have a problem where I have spot colours in a table (e.g. My Yellow) with cmyk values of 0/5/100/0, but am trying to print this colour without the rip adding in dots of cyan/black.

So my first thing to do was to turn off colour management - this caused the colour to completely bypass the spot table and use the values from my source file! Which i do not want.

How can I use the values within the spot table, without colour management being turned on?

Thanks in advance,

This is a SPOT color, but it has CMYK values?

Isn't the Clean Colors setting for single channel CMYK values in the source file? So a CMYK mix of 0,0,100,0 would print in yellow only. Doesn't apply to spot colors.

Go into your spot color table and add "My Yellow," or whatever the color is called. There you can define the output values for the color.

Last edited:
I would set Spot table Search priority in this order, Internal, LAB, Source, CMYK.

Are these Custom Spot colors or Pantone or some other book that does have an internal to Fiery XF table?

Basically this is how I got to this stage;

I need to match to PANTONE 109 C, I have an object in my source file with the spot colour PANTONE 109 C, but when printed with colour management ON and using the spot table it ends up with a small amount of cyan dots.

I then chose to manually match to the colour by printing lots of swatches with colour management OFF, I chose a close matching swatch that had on yellow and a small amount of magenta in (0/5/100/0).

Now I could add change the spot colour in my source file to process and input the new values and then print with CM OFF (which works fine for the moment). But what I would really like to do is to give the operator the ability to alter the cmyk make-up of the yellow at the rip stage (we do have reasons for this!).

Therefore I would look to put the colour into the spot table (named 'My Colour') with makeup of 0/5/100/0.

Would I just need to leave CM ON, add make sure that my colour in the spot table is set to SOURCE? Would setting it to Source bypass the colour management completely?
But change search priority to Internal>LAB>CMYK>Source File

Hope this makes sense.

I would go back to the original named spot (Pantone 109 C). Make sure search priority is set to Internal>LAB>Source File>CMYK. Then make sure you have CM on, and set Color optimization to Clean Color.

If that does not give you the desired result that I would go to Color Editor on the Fiery and create a new Spot Library and read in the LAB value for Pantone 109 C with the Spectro.

I would try to stay away form CMYK, as there are just too many variables and possible conversions going on. If you noticed Adobe has finally wised up and now gives LAB values for spot colors in their tables.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back