Electrical Error CD-74

Alex Arriaza

We are running a CD-74 2005 and in the last few months we have experience an issue on the electric system, every 20 to 45 min the machine stops and displays a "T" inside a circle, the manual tells us that its a electronic card that its failing, but we cant locate it, any one had similar problems, or can tell me were can i check for the solution?
Thanks
AA

electrical error cd74

electrical error cd74

Hialex arriaza
I have had this issue before but i am not at work until monday, and my memory is a bit vague, from memory i think its a motor error ,has the machine got a coater.
I assume the machine has CP2000 , all the relevant information should be in the diagnostic/maintenance screen. hope this helps.
regards johnyprint

yes the machine has coater, its a Heidelberg CD-74-5+L-C, ill check the CP200 to see if i can found any info, but im sure the press man already did that and didn't find a thing, the only thing new is that the error that its displayed is an error 91.... but it doesnt tell me were can i fix it or what it may be.

Cd 74 leccy error

Cd 74 leccy error

Hi alex
If it's the coater roller it usually happens when the coating runs dry(empty barrel) ,because it's called a slip action coating system where the big chrome roller runs the same speed as the press and the rubber metering roller runs at a percentage of this and can be altered to go slower or faster, but the coatig acts like a lubricant (hence slip action) without any coating the chrome will try to drive the rubber metering roller as fast as the machine is going, the motor overrides and the machine should cut out. or maybe the bearings need changeing in the rubber metering roller. of coarse only if your problem is the coater. maybe another motor. should be on CP000.
Hope this points you in the right direction. regards johnyprint

This error usually means that one of the boards in the electrical cabinet is having some sort of fault or an electrical component some ware in the press is faulting and being recognized by a board in the cabinet. The more often this happens the worst it will get!!

With regard to what Elewis has just posted, maybe if you have bad bearings in the coater metering roller this would put strain on the motor and send an error message. Elewis do you think this falls in to line with what your saying or am i barking up the wrong tree. regards johnyprint
PS. it's a bit of guesswork sometimes.

the bad thing about this whole thing is that i cant tell what its going on, because de CP2000 is only telling me that a number (91) and a red "T" inside a circle, so the question is.... what does the number represent, because we already know that the T represents the failure in one board, but which is it? what test can i do to locate the physical failure?
Thanks

Dynamics test error

Dynamics test error

Alex, This is a dynamics test error, you must go to wrench/wrench1/dynamics test (T in circle) and page through to find what is flashing, this would begin the troubleshooting process to find where the error is originating. Good Luck, Steve

Circle T

Circle T

Your Motor is failing a start up test if this is happening when you hit the run button. It maybe related to the brake sticking.
Sometimes just jiggle the brake manually will solve it.
If it is the coater motor, roller bearing, or being over driven it will show as unit 5(if that is the unit with coater) and will look like a circle with an arrow.
Good luck!

1st pressman Bill Rothwell

1st pressman Bill Rothwell

The circled T means a dynamic error has happen. Dynamic errors only happen during the time a press is actually running. check the dynamic test in your cptronic. Is the press slamming to a stop or is it slowing down to a stop? I have had the problem of slowing to a stop numerous times and tracking it down through the cptronics dynamics tests I have found that it was actually a shorted out bulb on the unit in either the ductor button or the roller drop button or the manual pressure button. If you find the unit faults in the dynamics test that points to a paticular unit, I would pull the bulbs out of that unit and try it. this has worked everytime for me. There could be other problems from what you are saying but lets start here. Hope this helps, Bill

1Pressman - I'd have to agree a bulb wouldn't cause this problem, but this issue is not likely the main drive motor either. CPTronics can be difficult to toublehoot, even if you work with it daily.

ill try to locate the problem using the dynamic analysis, the machine just stops it doesn't slows down just comes to a death stop, another thing funny is that the guys at Heidelberg service came a couple of times and count found the problem even with the machine giving the error, i don't trust the training this guys have because they didn't even knew what the "T" means so, i tried it my self but came to place in the diagnostic were the CP2000 asks me for a password, i guess the only people that can enter it are the Heidelberg guys (they already got inside this), what is the purpose of the password, and why i don't know it, i mean its our machine haha.
Ill post my results as soon as possible.

Circle with T

Circle with T

1Pressman - I'd have to agree a bulb wouldn't cause this problem, but this issue is not likely the main drive motor either. CPTronics can be difficult to toublehoot, even if you work with it daily.

The problem would not be the main drive motor, but a self test the machine does, and thinks there is a problem there. Usually related to the brake.
Check the brake! That is a pedal press it a few times. Make sure it is FULLY relaesed, and that the cable is not tight or binding. If the machine sees the brake in a incorrect possition, You will have the problem you are describing. You are probably rebooting and the problem is gone! Right?
Play with the brake.
Good luck

As stated before on CP2000 machines the circle T means there has been an error detection during dynamic test. Dynamic test is the control system that detects faults on electronic boards. One of your electronic boards has a problem. It could be one of the drive boards or it could be a problem with the SLT(power converter output unit) or SVT( connecting element of the power converter) for the main motor. Both of these will show Dynamic Errors/circle T.

I doubt you will be able to get much further than checking the Dynamic Test log in the CP2000 service screen. You'll see a series of abbreviations on the left that stand for different boards and a column of FFFF (or 4 letter codes) etc on the right (the service technician will use these 4 letter codes to help diagnose the problem). That's about as far as you can go with out a Heidelberg Service technician.

Make a note of when you have the error, that will help you track down which board it could be. The list of boards and what they control is in your electrical schematics drawings that come with the press.

As far as the main motor those are separate error displays in the CP2000. The motor brake has its own error display:

Monitoring the main motor brake- circle with || in it with the motor brake on the left side. This will come up if you have a problem with the motor brake. Every time the press starts its checks the motor brake to make sure its in spec: 0-4 degrees movement.

Mike

Hi, alex
Sorry, Eariler I posted what had happened to one of our older presses (93')with the light bulb not realizing your press is an 05'. (as odd as it sounded, the bulb shorted out and did stop the press, it took heidelberg tec. about a week to track it down. however, i agree this is not the problem with your press).
That being said, we have a 04' press and have had a somewhat similar problem. when the press was just idling around between pulls or just idling while waiting, it would just stop. sometimes you could startup the press right away and sometimes it would require a reboot but after a while it would do it again. but as long as you were running, it was fine. we contacted heidelberg and they came in and installed a new pc in the console and new press software and some new boards. they said that they had been having this problem with some other presses. they did all of this at no cost to the company. it took about 3 days of down time and the press is running fine now. so it might be worth a phone call to heidelberg. hope this helps, Bill

The problem has been solved!!!, after all your comments and a little investigation, we started looking for the problem in two different places, the main cabinet and the coater unit, the errors displayed were this MOD-68, MOD-1, MOD-28 we were a little lost at first but we realize that the problems were at the electronic modules on the communication system(purple cables) first we checked the connections, and that didn't work out so well, the error kept appearing, then we change the module from the coater unit to the last unit, that didnt solve it, and finally we change the module from the cabinet to the second unit, it gave a new error, and the module had a led still, so that was the module that was not working, the error changed from MOD-1 to MOD-41. Right now we are waiting for the new module.

Thanks to everyone, this was a good discussion, im sure ill post more problems so we can discuss them as we did with this.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back