EPF export from Illustrator causes pdfs to generate

mschilling

What causes this problem? This is when exporting an illustrator file to EPF for backstage without outlining fonts. Many pdfs get generated, each with a little bit of type on them. After outlining the fonts there isn't a problem, but that workaround is clumsy. I've noticed that it doesn't happen with some fonts. Is there a better solution than outlining the fonts?

No, it seem unpredictable. I thought it was certain fonts, but probably not. For example, a can label I'm working on had 14 pdfs (they get numbered automatically) all generated from parts of the one nutrition facts panel. The font is Helv LT Std Bold Cond, or reg cond, pretty regular stuff.

Here's an example of one of the pdfs generated by the extension.

Attachments

• x_14.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 220
“Regular” fonts, by experience are the most likely to conflict and create problems. Another question, are the files opened in Illustrator but PDF native? In such case, the subsetting parameter needs to be 100%. Also, in Acrobat, some fonts are license protected and often create problems in the EPF export operation. I recall having had similar issues (multiple pdf created) and i simply activated the “outline all fonts” in the EPF export controls.

I do have the "Outline all text for server tasks" checked in prefs. Without that, there is a high chance of error when the file is ripped on BS. This is a native Illustrator file without being saved as pdf, afaik. It's curious that this quirk has been around for a year or more I think without being solved by Esko. I think it's probably because most people outline all fonts before attempting to export to epf. This practice is getting riskier with effects added to type that require expanding and then outlining to get the proper results, rather than simply just outlining the fonts.

I agree. All this being said, all of those mini-pdf's are only annoying. Someone from Esko online? I would like to ear from you on this.

It sounds like you are having a problem with open type fonts, the EPF file format cannot support OTF (EPF will be replaced in r6), it makes externally linked pdf files that contain this data.

Last edited:
Aha, thanks for the heads up! It helps to know when I may have this problem, and your answer explains it. I'm looking forward to r6, sounds awesome. Will it support native Illust files, or a pdf saved out of Illust...?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back