Epson 7900 + 9900

mcrawford

i am looking to find the release date of the new Epson 7900 and 9900 in US. I called Epson and what they told me is "I have no knowledge of this" - - Either they are hush hush or having delays for release. I had originally heard OCT/NOV from drupa but know hear through grapevine that it would be more like SPRING? Just curious if anyone has additional information on these products as I have always used Epson in-house and remotely with fair amount of success. The on-board spectrophotometer is what I really think will be helpful in remote locations.
thanks

Over here in the UK many dealers already have their demo units received and set up. Delivery seems to be imminent (yes - it's 2 months after you asked the question). As usual the first wave might already have orders just waiting for them. Also the major RIP vendors appear to have their release versions pretty much ready. I'd expect mid December for customer shipments for most existing orders and the ability to keep up with market demand sometime early 2009.
The devices work great though.

Keep in mind that the spectro is not "on-board". It is an add-on which gets mounted to the printer. You can order this add-on either as a "normal" or "UVcut" model ("UVcut" EXCLUDES UV-light from affecting the measurement, while "normal" INCLUDES it - I use CAPS, because X-Rite typically uses the include/exclude terminology in their documentation, which can cause tremendous irritation as actually a DTP41UV means that the built-in UVcut filter EXCLUDES UV wavelengths). All international print standard datasets are using the "normal" filter setting, which you should consider when using the device mainly for proofing to standards.
Either way - you get with both devices the option to measure on black backing or white backing.

Media change - especially of large and heavy rolls - is much easier with the spindle-less design and speed is very high. Also with the added orange and green the achievable gamut covers more Pantone colors than any other Epson before. Matte and Photo Black are in the printer at the same time, which helps if you need to print on newsprint or matte coated proofing stocks or onto materials such as watercolor paper. As the x880 series already the printer has a built-in Ethernet interface for high speed connection. I am not fully sure, but it might well be Gigabit.

They work well for proofing also and several vendors of proof software have their solutions with the x900 series already certified by the respective standards bodies (like FOGRA)

Epson 9900 Demo's available in Leeds

Epson 9900 Demo's available in Leeds

Not much use to our friends on the other side of the Pond, but we do have a 9900 demo unit here in Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK.

Hey Juergen, how u doing my brother???

Barry

We just bought 7900 2 weeks ago because we really appreciate the CMYKOG ink... but our EFI rip supplier still developing the patch for the 2 special color which is orange and green... so its not yet good to use it for proofing specially in CMYK because the color output is different to 7880... my advice is please check to your RIP supplier if the patch is already ok for 7900 or else you will encounter problem in light color specially in cmyk because the gamut is big and cannot controlled because of the rip.

Charlie... thanks for the information..... but i am using EFI software.... The only KODAK i have is the KODAK CREO CTP

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back