Epson 7900CTP

You aren't the only one having this issue.
I would suggest you get with the dealer that sold you the system and see if they have any remedies.

We purchased this 7900 CTP a couple of weeks ago and I think the output images are good but we really have a problem with the plate getting spots and not running clean. We will stop the press and clean them off and then they will appear at other locations on the document. We have tried many different water solutions and we have tried desentitizers but with no success.

Any suggestions?

I have a product it gets a lot of repeat sales for Silver Digital and Silvermaster type plates. It's a wetting agent that adheres to the plate and keeps it from drying out while idle. Also very effective with toner based plates. it may well help with these new generation VIM or Technova type plates as well. Email me and I will give you a sample I am interested to know if it works and have yet to use it in this application. I do have 2 local Epson platewriters but neither has the same issue although i have run both VIM and Epson plates in a short trial run and did see the issue you speak of. I can also send a plate cleaner to try that is known to eliminate spots on silver digital or "black" plates. Out of curiosity, what type of press/damp do you run the plates on?

Erick
[email protected]

Thanks for the help. I emailed you my address so you can send me a sample of the stuff and I will try it on the plate and see what it does.

We have discovered that they have a bad batch of plates. Just take an non-imaged plate and put it on press, you will have dots. They just sent a new batch of plates and they are running clean.

They seem to be very touchy. You just stop the press and touch it for any reason and they start collecting ink on that spot.

We don't seem to have any issues like that. As a matter of fact our pressman stops and takes lunch then starts up like normal. The plates do like more water than a conventional aluminum though. Their more like a hybrid between poly and aluminum in their characteristics.

So do you prep the plate with anything. What do you use for Fountain Solution and plate cleaner?
How long have you been using these plates and have yoy ever seen a bad batch that they have talked about. I am wondering if I have a bad batch.

We have had it since July. We pre-wet the plate with water before we mount. We also let the water form idle on the plate for a few additional seconds before engaging the ink rollers. The fountain solution is Varn Universal Pink and the plate cleaner is Burnshine Plate Care.

The bad plates we had would have hundreds of spots, the best way to find out is to take a clean non imaged plate and print blank sheets on the press. If the plates are bad you will see the dots. Looks like someone dotted the sheet with a ball point pen.

Hi there.
What has your experience been with the VIM system with regards reliability and repeatability and tonal quality.
Are there any pitfall in the RIP etc??
I have seen various print samples. Some are sharp and others a bit fuzzy with inkjet moire.
My feeling is that it should be job specific ie For knock and drop flyers etc. definitely not for annual reports etc.
Best regards
NigelT

I talked to Epson at Graph Expo, they did indeed own up to Quality Control issues with the plate manufacture in Italy. They had to send their plate guy of there to make sure they understood what was needed yo remedy to problem. He assured me that the problem has since been resolved.

From experience I can tell you that the plate issues that VIM is experiencing, (Im assuming that Epson is purchasing plates from them as VIM is having the exact same problems), mainly the spotting & image retention, has been going on for a long time. We to had the same issues and had one batch of plates replaced after another over a year. The issue never went away and VIM was at a loss to help. Their excuse over and over was, bad batch of plates so well replace it as soon as the new batch comes in. Well we would get the new batch and the same old problems. Tried many fountain solutions recommended by VIM and still nothing. We are currently in the process of seeing if VIM will stand behind their product as far as refunding our money on a product that does not perform as advertised. I will let you know in the next few weeks what they do as far as standing behind a bad product. To bad too. I had high hopes for this technology. I still like it but think there it is still a few years off before the product will function as it should, ie spotting, image retention etc... Also keep track a record of all the problems that you are having and will continue to have with these systems. It will probably come in very handy down the road.

Well we did receive a batch that was shipped directly from Epson that are as clean as a whistle. The plates are made in Italy, where are VIM plates made?

Clayton Photomeg 220 Fountain Solution on Epson/VIM metal plates is highly recommended FWIW. Plates run cleaner and longer from tests done in the field.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back