Epson 9900 and borderless printing

wonderings

We bought a new Epson 9900 a few months back, using Fiery XF 6.1 RIP to power it. A nice feature was borderless printing. Our two stock sizes we carry are 36inch and 44inch. It is nice because anything that wide can be done without needing any trimming after. Worked fine for a while, did not use it a whole bunch. I noticed the last few jobs that it was leaving about a 1/16 of white on the top. I contacted Epson chat support, they told me to try "Paper Size CHK: OFF" I could do not it right away as I had a few jobs printing on it. I tried after and it would not even load the paper properly, giving me a message "Load a supported paper size or load paper correctly"

Paper is loaded correctly and everything goes fine if I turn "Paper Size CHK: ON". Thought I would check here before going back to Epson, usually people who actually use the products in production know better. Anyone else have this issue and fixed it? Is there somewhere in the menu where I can adjust this?

If printing through the RIP, then look into the RIP settings – otherwise this will be through the printer driver.

You could also try updating the firmware on the Epson, which is usually the first step that Epson recommend (whether it helps or not, it is the stock answer).

Stephen Marsh

I am printing through a RIP, there are no drivers installed on my iMac, I just drag and drop onto the RIP. I was poking around the RIP trying to find something about this, but came up with no thing. I am thinking it is some calibration issue as it worked fine before and we never change or adjust any settings for the printer itself. Going to contact Epson again and see what they say.

On the printer, go to menu - maintenance - cutter adjustment I'm not sure if you'd need a positive or negative adjustment. I'm pretty sure this is what you need to adjust to fix the issue.

The other possibility is media size correction, in the media settings of the output device on the RIP. I don't think that would be it but if the cutter adjust doesn't work it's worth a shot. Make sure you have a very accurate ruler for the adjustment or you'll drive yourself crazy.

On the printer, go to menu - maintenance - cutter adjustment I'm not sure if you'd need a positive or negative adjustment. I'm pretty sure this is what you need to adjust to fix the issue.

The other possibility is media size correction, in the media settings of the output device on the RIP. I don't think that would be it but if the cutter adjust doesn't work it's worth a shot. Make sure you have a very accurate ruler for the adjustment or you'll drive yourself crazy.

I gave that a try, it appeared to do nothing. You can only make adjustments in increments of 8 mil. I started with adding 8 mil, it came out the same as before, I then went to -24 mil and the exact same results as before. I wanted to do a big jump so the change would be noticeable.

I cannot find anything in the RIP for cutter adjustment.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back