Epson 9900 Transparency issues

jakewill

When outputting pdf files to the Epson 9900 (44in) inkjet printer we continue to have transparency issues. The issue does not exist with all of the transparencies. To address this particular transparency issue, we are flattening in Acrobat 8 with the raster setting at Zero. We have tried running the files through our Printready P (Heidelberg) Workflow in order to normalize and flatten the images, but this does not resolve the transparency issues. Does anyone know of a RIP or process of steps that we might utilize in order to lessen the time involved in "fixing" the transparency issue with these files.

The original files are being created in InDesign CS3.

Thank You, in advance for your help...

I assume then you do not have the license for proofing in MetaDimension (ColorProof Pro, ColorProof __).

Therefore the problem is most likely caused by the process you are ripping the data of the PDF. In this method of output typically your Mac or PC has a postscript driver that converts the document or in this case PDF data to the postscript language then communicates this data (via firewire, ethernet, usb) to the printer which inputs this postscript communique and outputs raster data on the fly. Typically the postscript driver on your Mac or PC causes a problem like this to occur in the PDF to postscript conversion or the printer itself doesn't understand the postscript data it is trying to interpret and causes an error like this to occur.

So what is the solution?
Open the PDF in photoshop and rasterize it to ___ PPI (anything beyond 600 is total overkill for traditionally marketed litho). If the problem occurs in Photoshop rasterizing then you've got a problem PDF and I would recommend trying PDF/X format upon exporting from InDesign. If that doesn't fix it you have a seriously nightmarish file.

What is scary about this method of proofing?
Your proof is really a softproof and not a real proof. The RIP at MetaDimension can interpret completely different results than your proofer (for better or worse). I am not a gambling man in any sense of the word but I would put money on the plates for this job coming out of the other MetaDimension without this problem. If you want accurate proofs the plates and the proofer HAVE to come out of the same RIP. Your proofs are also most likely not even close to color accurate.

What is the long term solution?
Like yourself I have found my self in this same situation before. For reasons of cost Heidelberg sales will sell you (or most likely your boss) Printready P (the most budget version of printready/prinect workflow) without an actual proofing module built into MetaDimension. The module costs I believe is $5,000 - $10,000 and it is basically an combination of an EFI program called ColorProof (RIP to Proofer interpreter) and a device output license within MetaDimension. My former boss couldn't see the value in this investment after dropping well over $100k on a new workflow, epson9800 and suprasetter that had essentially no actually accurate proofing solution. Buy it if you are the boss or tell your boss to buy it. If your company does not buy the proofing licensing you will continue to have these problems and will continually have to rasterize files manually in Photoshop so that your softproof will come out looking "correct". The risk will always be that it proofs correctly but will RIP incorrectly and bad plates will ensue.

Last edited:
The issue of PDF files and transparencies has plagued many-an-operation.
Yes, a RIP certainly helps, but will not be an instant cure for all your woes.

If you do investigate RIPs, you may want to look at those that have actually adopted the Adobe PDF print Engine already. The latest Adobe RIP kernel will do the best job.

GMG and EFI both have good solutions.
Of important note.....Epson has recently signed an OEM agreement with EFI.

There are resellers in the Pittsburgh area that sell both brands.
Please let me know if you would like any more info.

Thanks,
Ian

Chromaticity | Home

Heidelberg MetaDimension is a PDF Engine based RIP. I haven't had a single transparency issue with it in the past 3 years.

Ritter and Ian,

Thank You for suggestions...

We do have the ColorProof Pro module for MetaDimension but only have a quarter-size license for SignaStation / Metadimension. That is why we have determined to send the files directly to the Epson 9900 proofer. Also, we are using the 9900 for poster production, not proofing for litho. We have an Epson 9600 that was set up and targeted to match the press-sheets coming off of our 5 color press but are beginning to do quite a bit of promotional printing for some of our retail clients. I have done quite a bit of experimenting with the settings in the Epson software in order to meet the client's color targets for their 4 primary PMS colors and the consistency has been excellent in the output.

We are going to try your suggestions and I will get back to you with the results...

Thank You, again for your help with this.

intersting...

intersting...

Ritter, that is very cool to hear. I wonder if HD did their own inkjet module or if they are still using the EFI/Best software.....?

EFI has an updated program called Fiery XF. It costs $1,995 and can drive an Epson 9900 wonderfully with a PDF Print Engine. It is the exact same app as EFI Colorproof XF.
It also has options for poster printing - nesting, tiling, etc.

jakewill,

Sounds good. You could upgrade your license from HDM and run posters and proofs through MetaDimension and have the flexibility of using both proofers. If you are just going to print posters with your 9900 Photoshop rasterizing is most likely going to be your most cost effective and reliable solution.

Ian,

I haven't upgraded to 7 / 7.5 yet but I would assume that they are on the XF upgrade path from Colorproof Pro which is what 6.5 uses post RIP to communicate with the proofers. Perhaps another HDM user that has upgraded or somebody affiliated with HDM can give some input.

- Mitch

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back