Epson inkjet CTP 7900

kawilliams

I am comtemplating purchasing an Epson 7900 computer to plate.What can you tell me.We do about 12 plates for a webpress each week four of which are for the full color section.We also to a total of about 15 smaller plates each week,any advise?

Hi,
Interesting to note there was no reply to this post. Has anybody got any experience imaging plates on the Epson printers? Today, Technova of India is marketing a cheap epson based CTP solution but again there are no posts anywhere from actual users. All one gets is negative "waste of money" statements but no hard facts on the problems with this system. The demo I saw looked good so perhaps...?

I just had one installed in July. So far the only issue we have had is spots on the plates. They are not coming from the printer, we must have had a bad batch of plates. If you just mount a blank plate on the press and ink it up you will get a ton of spots until you clean the plates off. One small step to correct, but we have gone as low as a 5% (didn't have a need to go lower yet) screen and it held for the 7500 sheet run.

How is the quality of the full colour work? Is it able to do 170lpi and print a sharp full color image? I would also like to thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of us.

We don't print process on press, we are a small shop and our press work is 1 and 2 spot colors. Is the dot as sharp as a DPM or a Dimension platemaker... no, but then again it's only 10 Grand. The screens have been pretty damn nice though.

Epson inkjet CTP 7900
I can drive the development of specialized spray density, rip is the Founder PSPNT3.0, you can choose any channel. 180 hanging line. Print works well. Can be directly printed on coated PS plate or film.

Attachments

• setup.JPG
    setup.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 未命名.jpg
    未命名.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 未命名-1.jpg
    未命名-1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 未命名-2.jpg
    未命名-2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 未命名-3.jpg
    未命名-3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 176
I have a custom configured 9900ctp system with a spectroproofer and rip for plates and prints.
We have had it now about 8 months and LOVE IT! No Issues now!
We were having the spotting issue, but I think epson changed the plates and we have not had any issues lately.

Be careful with the inkjet CTP system. We had a VIM system which used the Epson 7900. We finally, after a year of trying to get rid of spots and premature plate wear, had to send the system back. Didn't matter what we did or what VIM recommended the spotting issue was always there and we could never get a run over 2-3000 out of the plates. We were sent many boxes of plates trying to eliminate the problems but never did. Had to finally go to a thermal CTP system. Shop around and find a good Thermal CTP. You can pick one up in this economy fairly cheap right now. Yes, they are a little more than the Epson 7900, but, you wont regret it. I still like the technology but it is still in it's infancy and I'm sure in a few years they will work the bugs out of the plates. Good Luck.

Just finished a run of 37,000 impressions off 1 set of plates with not breakdown. Epson has definitely fixed the problem over VIM. Longest run we have run of 1 set of plates was 42,000. We went from a Rip-It System to this and it has been a great improvement.

Glad to hear that the plates are improving. As I stated I still like the technology as long as they can get the plates right.

Thanks, we are in the early stages of evaluating a move to a 4 color small format and I was concerned if these plates would support a 3304 or 524.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back