Epson Pro 9800 Need RIP

Jackie

Hi there, we have a Epson 9800 that is set up as a Kodak Matchprint proofer. Does a great job. However we've been dabbling in large format printing as there is a small demand from our clients. Running the files through Prinergy isn't always the best solution as the printer settings are rather limited.

I was hoping you could recommend a simple stand alone third party RIP software that has just the basics, Print preview, resolution and paper options.

It could run on either PC or Mac although I'd prefer a Mac compatible RIP.

Thanks
Jackie

Sorry Zombie, a little slow today. (It's Monday) what is PM short for? I'm sure it'll be obvious when you tell me.

Thanks
Jackie

Hi Jackie, you are right that a proofing solution is not the best wide format printing solution. There are many RIPs out there that are targeted at Photographic, signage and other markets over proofing.

The following product has impressed me for features vs. price, it appears to be a combination of printer driver with RIP features (a plug in for Adobe creative apps, however there is also a stand alone version for PDF files):

Mirage Production Edition

If have not tested it yet, it is on my to do list!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Have you considered no rip? You probably already have the equipment to make paper profiles (I'm assuming). We have been running our wide format printers without rips ever since the Epson 10600 and have had great results. I'm just saying it's an option, maybe not the best option for everyone but it works for us.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back