Epson WT7900 - white ink cracking, ink cartridge errors

prepress labels

Hello!

We have had an Epson WT7900 for about two years. Lately, we've noticed a couple issues that we haven't been able to completely eradicate:

1. When we print color ink on top of white ink, those areas looked kind of "cracked". Haven't noticed any issues when there's no other ink printing on top of the white. It's usually not visible unless you hold the proof up to the light, and it doesn't happen every time. Last weekend, the press dept. noticed it on a job and had to make a phone call to verify it wasn't part of the art.

2. We recently got a recurring "ink cartridge error--replace ink cartridge" on the display panel (only for the white ink cartridge). We could usually make it go away by removing, shaking and replacing the white ink cartridge (which we do once a week anyway), but eventually that didn't work and we had to replace the cartridge. We notified our vendor and they picked up the partially-used cartridge. Now it's started to happen with another cartridge, so I'm thinking it may be something finicky with the proofer itself.

I'm not sure what to try next. I looked through the manual, but that only contained general info. We use Epson Crystal Clear Film S045152, and the machine does a self-cleaning almost every day. We haven't done a power cleaning, since it uses a lot of ink.

Anyone else run into these issues? Let me know if I need to provide more info. Any feedback is appreciated--thanks!

Hi
The cracking is most likely due to inkload. I have noticed this exact effect before with the epson white and other pigmented colors. The coating does not seem capable of an inkload some where around the 200% mark. This is probably why the white alone does not crack or a pale color on white. A modification to the White inklimit within the profile could help. An overall inklimit would kill the dark colors though. For the Ink Cartridge error, try updating the firmware for the WT7900. This was a fix for Ink Cartridge errors on other models. Try and find a an original printer firmware to roll back to just in case. I may have an older version of the firmware and try epsons site. Check that your RIP software is compatible with the latest Firmware. If you would like any other info, send an email to [email protected]

Thanks! I've also notified our vendor, so we'll see what they come up with.

The ink limit idea makes sense. I'm not sure why We're driving the proofer with EFI ColorProof XF 4.5, and there's a spot in the output devices where you can control the white ink coverage. I've played around with it before, and it doesn't seem to make the white any more or less opaque (that's another topic altogether), but maybe it might help with the cracking.

As far as profiles, I don't think we're color-managing the white, so it's probably not in any of the proofing profiles. I wouldn't know how to edit a color profile.

I'd updated the firmware quite awhile back, and just checked again--we have the newest version.

Thanks again!

Usually you have to shake the cartridges every so often, or there's a stir/cycle through the pump option on the control panel. This is also true of metallic inks if you have them.

Thanks! We've actually been shaking the white ink cartridges once a week since we got the proofer two years ago. We don't have metallic inks. Does it make any difference to shake the other cartridges (CMYKOG)?

No - I think just the white and metallic is good... and usually the machine will cycle the other inks to avoid clotting/clogging, but for some reason the white and metallic need special attention

No - I think just the white and metallic is good... and usually the machine will cycle the other inks to avoid clotting/clogging, but for some reason the white and metallic need special attention

I don't think Epson cycles the inks. This is true with non aqueous inks in Rolands/Mimakis and such. But the white ink in WT7900 definitely needs special attention compared to the other inks.

Hello,

The Crystal Clear Film will show "cracks" when held to light - it is aimed at design stage proof samples.

The Epson ClearProof (C13S042371) or ClearProof Thin (C13S042408) film are aimed at final stage proofs and produce a very solid White with no cracking as long as the density of the White ink is optimised in the software running the device.

Steve

Question--I just searched for the other two clear items on Epson's website, and they're not there. I know Epson was going to discontinue some of these materials a couple years ago--do you know if any of them are still available anywhere on a regular basis?

I actually do have a sample of a nice opaque white produced with clear film on a WT7900, from 2010. This was when we were looking into purchasing the proofer. It seems that the nice opaque white went away when the materials were revamped.

A lot of people use a less expensive material from Cartolith and get passable results. Maybe we'll look into that again.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back