Epsons and head clogging: are newer models any better?

Colorblind

I currently use a 3.5 years old Epson 9800 and just got the head changed. While it improved print quality, it still doesn't print like a couple of years ago and heads are still getting clogged on a regular base. Room temperature and humidity are within specs and I print Epsons every day using Epson paper and ink. I was wondering if newer models such as the 9880 and 9900 are better in that aspect or they are just the same.

Sounds like you needed more than the ink head changed. There are small dampeners in there that may have needed changing too along with the pump and cap assembly.
Any Epson that has been in service for 3.5 years that has "print head" issues, I recommend a trade-up to the newer model.

Thank you for your response, that's what I think we will do. I read somewhere that the Epson 9880 print head has a special coating that supposedly helps reduce head clogging. Anyone knows if it actually works or it's the same as the 9800? What about the 9900?

Room within specs? Is it ideal or just within specs? We have a room 20°C and 50% RH (including a filter taking out calcium for the humidifyer, before that we had calcuim dust on all electronics), both for CTP and proofers. Still operating an EPSON 7600. In my experience the paper does have a big impact on runlife.

Do you switch the machine off at night or weekends? We leave ours on all the time seems to reduce clogging.

A

Lukas, my room is at 21 C and humidity at 50%, it's a closed room.
ajr: I used to let it on all week and shut it down on the week-end and my Epson repair guy told me to shut it down every night but so far, no difference.

Shut it down, leave it on, swing a dead cat in a graveyard at midnight...its an Epson and its still going to clog. ;)

I would recommend the 9900 -- it has an autoclean feature and autonozzle check that will run prior to each print. It saves time, especially if you don't have an operator around to do a manual nozzle check

It is true that nozzle clogging is a fact of life, but the autoclean and nozzle check functionality helps me.

I have a temperture and humidity controlled room, use only inks that are not expired, never refill a cartridge, etc - a model citizen of good print practice - and I still get clogged nozzles. I do find that if I print often, and power clean once a week life is pretty good.

When was the cutting blade last replaced ?, our 7800 kept clogging up until a Epson engineer replaced the blade and cleaned the area where the print heads sits in its return position. Apparently as the blade becomes more blunt, more fibres are produced each time it cuts, these fibres block the printer heads.

I print mainly with inkjet coated material for contract quality color work ( e.g. Matchprint Inket SM240P T1), and rarely with matte media.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back