Error 01 Carriage jamb on avantra 44s OLP

The Avantra 44 will give a carriage jam error any time it is trying to move the carriage and it doesn't get the proper signals indicating that the carriage is actually moving. Most common cause is film buckled up in the drum. Check inside the drum (on both sides of the carriage) to see if excessive film is in there. If so, then remove the film and restart the machine. If no excessive film is present, then check to see if anything else may be blocking carriage movement such as flappers that are not fully up and out of the way of the carriage. There are other more possibilities but these need to be checked first.

Error 01 carriage jam on avantra 44s

Error 01 carriage jam on avantra 44s

The Avantra 44 will give a carriage jam error any time it is trying to move the carriage and it doesn't get the proper signals indicating that the carriage is actually moving. Most common cause is film buckled up in the drum. Check inside the drum (on both sides of the carriage) to see if excessive film is in there. If so, then remove the film and restart the machine. If no excessive film is present, then check to see if anything else may be blocking carriage movement such as flappers that are not fully up and out of the way of the carriage. There are other more possibilities but these need to be checked first.

Thank you for your response. Now that i have check inside the drum i found nothing. But I observe that if i load media it will load but will not complete loading when it will bring another errors 64 flapper jam, i will raise the flapper up, 33 no media currently loaded and 79 media load is not allowed. Then, i will unload the media. What is the next step to take . Best regards

The flapper jam is probably what is causing the 01, 33, and 79 errors. Is there anything physically causing the flapper to jam? You can make the flapper move by going to the tool box icon (4th from left in the offline screen) and using the flapper icon. quite often the flapper will get caught on the "outrigger" on the carriage (it is used to guide the film the last few inches before a full loading of film). Normally that outrigger should be fully within 1/4'' clearance from the drum. If it is higher than that the flapper will get caught on it causing the 64 error. If this is the case, then remove the outrigger from the carriage, bend it near where it attaches to the carriage so that when reinstalled it will be very close to the drum but not touching the drum.

The flapper jam is probably what is causing the 01, 33, and 79 errors. Is there anything physically causing the flapper to jam? You can make the flapper move by going to the tool box icon (4th from left in the offline screen) and using the flapper icon. quite often the flapper will get caught on the "outrigger" on the carriage (it is used to guide the film the last few inches before a full loading of film). Normally that outrigger should be fully within 1/4'' clearance from the drum. If it is higher than that the flapper will get caught on it causing the 64 error. If this is the case, then remove the outrigger from the carriage, bend it near where it attaches to the carriage so that when reinstalled it will be very close to the drum but not touching the drum.

Thank you so much. it was the flapper that cause the predicament and one cable that move out of it status.
May God bless you tremendously.

avantra error 01 and 47

avantra error 01 and 47

hi
I am faced with same 01 and 47 error on avantra 44 .
we have tried replacing all possible components from working machine suitably reprogramming the boards.
replaces csdm, DEC, interchanged SDM ..installed a new carriage with old laser assly replaced carriage encoders both. . . but this problem finds no solution. .
some times it happens while loading. some time while exposind. .
drum is clear. . film load clearly. .
any solution will be appreciated. .

Not exactly the same problem but it is similar. The 01 is being generated by what is causing the 47 error. 47 error is for a carriage speed error and is generated when the DEC gets signals from the CSDM indicating that there is a difference between the two encoders on the carriage. As you have already changed the CSDM, carriage, encoders and DEC then the next most likely is the ribbon cable between CSDM and DEC. Check to make sure that it never contacts the drum when the carriage is at the control panel side of the machine. If it does, then check the cable for wear that exposes the conductors and reposition the cable to stop the contact with the drum. Or alternately, just replace the cable. You indicate that it is an intermittent problem, so the cable is the most likely cause.

Not exactly the same problem but it is similar. The 01 is being generated by what is causing the 47 error. 47 error is for a carriage speed error and is generated when the DEC gets signals from the CSDM indicating that there is a difference between the two encoders on the carriage. As you have already changed the CSDM, carriage, encoders and DEC then the next most likely is the ribbon cable between CSDM and DEC. Check to make sure that it never contacts the drum when the carriage is at the control panel side of the machine. If it does, then check the cable for wear that exposes the conductors and reposition the cable to stop the contact with the drum. Or alternately, just replace the cable. You indicate that it is an intermittent problem, so the cable is the most likely cause.

hi
thank u fore the reply,., i failed to mention that i had tried all flat ribbon cable(3 Of it), smps and touch pannel too from working machine.,., every part is working with similar machine.,.,
from A machine (problematic) all boards cables smps work with B machine
from B machine same problem occurs in A machine.,., we have been doing patiently these experiments for past few days.,.
more over incoming power suppli and grounding re done just in case.,., room conditions are satisfactory.,.,
film sits perfectly in drum.,., vac is good (cleaned thoroughly).,., machine re levelled.,., hopefully all possible actions we can think of has been done

laser module and bridge board r not tried yet.,., but whole carriage without laser module has been replaced.,.,

hi
thank u fore the reply,., i failed to mention that i had tried all flat ribbon cable(3 Of it), smps and touch pannel too from working machine.,., every part is working with similar machine.,.,
from A machine (problematic) all boards cables smps work with B machine
from B machine same problem occurs in A machine.,., we have been doing patiently these experiments for past few days.,.
more over incoming power suppli and grounding re done just in case.,., room conditions are satisfactory.,.,
film sits perfectly in drum.,., vac is good (cleaned thoroughly).,., machine re levelled.,., hopefully all possible actions we can think of has been done

laser module and bridge board r not tried yet.,., but whole carriage without laser module has been replaced.,.,

Looks strange, but it isn't.
You almost replaced everything, but still the problem persists. Can you explain if you used all those parts for replacement from another Avantr 44 S with the sane firmware and in a good working condition or you took the parts from different Avantras with different firmwares ? .
If you can't be 100% sure, then do not border looking for solution here.
By the way, have you also checked and replaced the Carriage home sensor? I bet you did.
Now how about starting all over again to find out where the problem is. Hoping after changing all these parts and replacing one after another you haven't added any other problem.
Good luck James!!

Last edited:
hi Farshad,
thank u for the reply.,.,
let me explain, it is avantra 44, what i replaced is from currently working 2nd machine (avantra 44).,., and i made sure these 2 machines run with same firmware by re-programming the first machine to suit 2nd one suitable firmware updates..(boards are similar)
yes u r correct i had replace home sensor too...

we have been extra cautious not to come up with new problems.,., during this process i found media rewinding problem with 1st machine has been resolved.,.,(it was not rewinding.,.roll change was difficult earlier..).,.
now i hv to muster courage to do this exercise once more with out creating new problems,,,
thanks for the good luck...!!!

hi Farshad,
thank u for the reply.,.,
let me explain, it is avantra 44, what i replaced is from currently working 2nd machine (avantra 44).,., and i made sure these 2 machines run with same firmware by re-programming the first machine to suit 2nd one suitable firmware updates..(boards are similar)
yes u r correct i had replace home sensor too...

we have been extra cautious not to come up with new problems.,., during this process i found media rewinding problem with 1st machine has been resolved.,.,(it was not rewinding.,.roll change was difficult earlier..).,.
now i hv to muster courage to do this exercise once more with out creating new problems,,,
thanks for the good luck...!!!

O.k. I believe you are a professional and when you put back the parts on other one it worked just fine. Right? You do know Avantra 44 is different from 44 S.
Start all over again.A fresh startyou have no other choice. Good luck.

sure.,., i am profnl... i am playing with both machine and both r av44.. not 44s..
let me start over again.,.,.with more patience...

sure.,., i am profnl... i am playing with both machine and both r av44.. not 44s..
let me start over again.,.,.with more patience...

It isn't easy and very frustrating for a professional service engineer like yourself to go through this again. Please be patient as you mentioned and try to forget what you did before to resolve the issue.

Now you have 2 Avantras 44. Then I suggest to take the parts starting with carriage from the one with 01 error to the other one. Just swap the parts till to find the defective parts. Let me know if you need any help let me know. You have my e-mail address and SKYPE ID. contact me. I am here to help. You can do it. God Bless!!!

Last edited:
Yes, it looks like time to start over. I got the impression that this was an intermittent problem. Is this true? If so, you may want to check the carriage rails for obstructions or dry oil on the bearing rail. The Avantras allow a certain amount of error between the analog and digital encoders before it will issue the 47 or 01 errors. Armya is correct, it will take patience, but you can do it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back