Esko Automation Engine and FujFilm Dart Platesetter 4300 / Rampage

markb

I am designing a web to print workflow that would digest JDF job tickets from EFI Pace to a prepress workflow system. The prepress system has to have the ability to run Pitstop actions in workflows, auto download press ready pdfs from web systems (urls in JDF job tickets) and take a data run list of pdf assets that need to gang run on press sheets. Outside of this, I need to setup standards for the prepress dept so they can have a locked down PDF workflow to automate preflight, impose, send to press, etc. for non W2P orders.

I see how Esko AE, Enfocus Switch, and perhaps Xerox Freeflow Core could all help a bit with the above items, but the one item that is not included in this scope review, is Rampage replacement in 2016 or so.

Esko is going to include their RIP in a proposal, so I am researching how Esko could be a Rampage replacement. To my understanding, we would have to keep Rampage as a pass though for 1 bit tiff to our Fuji Dart 4300, which does not help with a Rampage replacement project in 2016 or so.

I think we are potentially going down two workflow paths- purchase something like Esko AE and then purchase something like a bare bones XMF solution just for Komori work next year. Komori work is only about 20% of our workflow.

Purchasing Esko AE and XMF would work, but I'm curious if anyone else has connected a Fujifilm Dart 4300 to Esko AE without Rampage in the middle. We work with Fuji's color tools to generate Rampage plate curves to maintain our G7 qualification as well, so I'm not exactly sure if and how Fuji would help us with an Esko RIP project.

Wow. A lot of moving pieces. I will say up-front what you want to do is possible but very ambitious. The saying "walk before you run" should be considered earnestly. Your scope might be too broad and you may be considering redundant software solutions. I see from your profile that you are IT oriented and possibly lack a hands on prepress background. If this is the case please say so and I can give a brief crash course in terminology and modularity.

A CtP or CtF device (your Dart) basically takes binary data and emits laser light in that binary sequence onto film or plates. TIFF is the most basic form of artwork to be communicated to that device. That communication is sometimes done directly by a RIP (Raster image processor) and sometimes by a "TIFF Catcher". A RIP converts PDF, postscript, etc. into binary data and communicates that directly to the CtP OR produces a TIFF file. A "TIFF Catcher" is merely a translator for the RIP to the CtP. Why do TIFF catchers exist? Every RIP vendor does not program to communicate to every CtF or CtP device. TIFF is the commonly accepted and most basic artwork file format thus nearly all RIPs can be licensed to output a TIFF file so that any TIFF catcher can communicate the data to the device.

There are two ways of attacking this:
  • If you are going to buy an Esko RIP (ImagingEngine, etc.) for Esko AutomationEngine to talk to your Dart you are going to have to have some kind of "TIFF Catcher" in between. Your existing Rampage may already be licensed for TIFF Catcher mode or you may have to get new licensing or replace Rampage with an alternative Dart compliant TIFF catcher.
  • If you are not going to buy an Esko RIP then you'll merely need to make sure that Rampage can accept PDFs or whatever format Esko AutomationEngine is going to drop into Rampage hot folders.

Buying Esko AutomationEngine and Fujifilm XMF or any other workflow is completely redundant and an expense without obvious purpose. They serve the same purpose but vary in methods and functionality. Feel free to PM me your number if you want to chat on the phone. I suggest that you do. My advice could potentially save you tens of thousands of dollars. I do not work for or advocate for any vendor.

Hopefully others will also chime in.

Last edited:
You just need a tiff bucket or raster blaster. This would also require esko to make a 1 bit tiff out to the raster blaster. Fairly inexpensive and this will eliminate the older box. Xitron has a blue box plug in. If you need details call me at 702 six 84zero zero 59

Esko is the first vendor that had come to the table with professional services interest and software solutions than seem like we can "grow into"- a modular suite of tools that I'm having a hard time finding another complete workflow that has all these features. This article explains our situation I think: Transforming and Automating Workflows: Packaged Workflow Solutions - WhatTheyThink
We're really after a more device-centric DFE based workflow with MIS integration, Pitstop server preflight / actions and more database centric type run lists for order imposition to digital DFEs. It's the CTP workflow we use Rampage for that I wish I could just leave as is, but can't long term. Esko is bundling their RIP module "because it's cheaper" than ala cart. We have immediate needs to automate W2P orders and W2P MIS job ticket integration to keep staff numbers down. From there, we have time to manage change with general prepress workflow and Rampage replacement, but hoping to pick a solution that will meet immediate needs and long term goals without purchasing redundant software. I'm IT and prepress professional, but have never had a great love for offset, but it's about 20% of our workflow and we'll be doing offset for at least another 10 years I would think.

You just need a tiff bucket or raster blaster. This would also require esko to make a 1 bit tiff out to the raster blaster. Fairly inexpensive and this will eliminate the older box. Xitron has a blue box plug in. If you need details call me at 702 six 84zero zero 59

Thank you, that's the info I was looking for! I will add to my notes for review / discussion / research.

I think you could accomplish a lot of what you want with Switch, PitStop Server, and Ultimate's Impostrip. This would leave Rampage alone for the time being.

Are you wanting AE to do something that these cannot?

I think you could accomplish a lot of what you want with Switch, PitStop Server, and Ultimate's Impostrip. This would leave Rampage alone for the time being.

Are you wanting AE to do something that these cannot?

Well, The way Enfocus is setup where you work with resellers and consultants as apposed to the vendor directly is something I have considered as a potential negative- I lke to work directly with vendor partners, it has been a large part of our success. With that being said, I am also in talks with an Enfocus reseller / consultant to compare Switch, Pitstop Server and Imposition solutions. I sort of equate Esko AE like the XMPie suite of cross media tools we have. We could have pieced together some solutions for web, email and VDP print with a collection of tools, but it's been great to work with a single integrated solution like XMPie- a toolkit we have grown into and has been easy to work with the vendor directly for growth. And, the one thing that AE has, that other tools do not is the iCut module. We use Esko's iCut Layout Desktop software, and we have steady growth in custom digital cutting with our Kongsberg router.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back