ESKO Users - Do not upgrade to OSX Mavericks

Thanks for the tip.

I'm still running Snow Leopard...never really saw the need to upgrade. There hasn't been anything earth shattering on a production level and Snow Leopard has been so stable.

I'm sure I will have to at some point but I usually stay one step behind and avoid headaches.

I understand. Everyone has varying needs to remain as-is or to upgrade. I always tend test to head off internal mass confusion and problems. With Mavericks (10.9) being a free upgrade pushed through the App Store I feared many end users would upgrade impulsively. From reading online there appear to be a lot of legacy users using Snow Leopard (10.6) that jumped to Mavericks (10.9) because it was free and said "hey upgrade me!". Many of these users are having a various issues they would've encountered had they purchased and upgraded to Lion (10.7) and/or Mountain Lion (10.8). Lucky for most of those users Snow Leopard (10.6) came as install CD and can be fairly easily reverted. Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8) users are not going to be so lucky when attempting to revert unless they have ironclad backups and even then there are some potential caveats.

You are actually many versions behind running Snow Leopard (10.6). Esko software v12.1 works great with Mountain Lion (10.8). I cannot speak to other versions.

Listing of Mac OS X versions:
10.0: "Cheetah" - 2001
10.1: "Puma" - 2001
10.2: "Jaguar" - 2002
10.3: "Panther" - 2003
10.4: "Tiger" - 2005
10.5: "Leopard" - 2007
10.6: "Snow Leopard" - 2009
10.7: "Lion" - 2011
10.8: "Mountain Lion" - 2012
10.9: "Mavericks" - 2013

Well it looks like Esko is outsourcing the Desk Pack software again... Three months to upgrade and maybe test the plug-ins? I wonder if Esko has an Apple Developer account? That would be to easy.
And I just swung by Extensis website site to see about Suitcase Fusion plug-ins and they will be ready in a week.

I am a few versions behind, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I agree with you on the possible mess when upgrading after falling too far behind, but Snow Leopard is still supported and we actually use a program that requires Rosetta. I'll probably go to Mountain Lion soon...it's supposedly a very seamless upgrade from Snow Leopard.

Just a heads up since you mentioned it. Snow Leopard was the last version to support Rosetta.

Yes...that's one reason I haven't upgraded. There was no productive benefit...the only real reason I would have now is compatibility with future products and simply to not fall completely behind, lol.

While Esko dropped the ball on 10.8 Deskpack. I don't necessary blame them on this one. Apple delivered Mavericks faster then the industry was expecting.

Here is an email I received from Esko.

Dear customer,

We would like to inform you that Esko Software does not support Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks.
Please do not upgrade to Mavericks until support is confirmed on our system requirement pages.
Esko Suite 12 will support Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks from Assembly 5 onwards.
Suite 12 Assembly 5 is scheduled to be released in January 2014.
If you have upgraded to Mavericks already, please contact your support channel.

With best regards,
Esko's Support Team

Did some more testing here with OSX Mavericks and Esko software.

Artpro 12.1.1 build 144 works if you install the latest license manager.

Nexus manager, Automation engine and dotspy are not working. ( Nexus works 1 time after a new installation, when closed it does not start anymore excepts when reinstalled again)

I am a bit affraid for nexus manager. We still need it for our nexus RIP as automation engine only takes over the processor part until now. But it seems Esko will only update their suite 12 programs for Mavericks and I don't think nexus is included. As it seems nexus 10.1.2 is the final version.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back