Experimentation with Metallics?

eran

Hey Everyone,

I'm working on a project which will involve printing a handful of images of gold coins. I've often wondered about channeling a little metallic ink into a process image. This may not be something that can work out in reality but has anyone had any experience with it? Or maybe you've swapped your yellow out for 872 perhaps. Whatever the case, I'd love to hear your stories.

Thanks!

I've started researching MetalFX... The first thing I noticed is that the company is now out of business. Also we don't have any 5+ color presses which means if I even attempt a test I'll be dry trapping the gold which may cause a round of problems on its own. MetalFX is, however, pretty interesting. Are there any documents that describe the process or is it all proprietary?

Substituting gold with the process yellow will not work. Process inks have the ability to wet trap because they are transparent. Gold is an opaque ink. The best effect you are going to get will be to dry trap on top of the gold. If you dry trap onto the process ink it will opaque over a lot of things you want to show. In order to inline wet trap with metallics requires as minimal trap as you can get on the press.

Thanks for the reply. The yellow <-> gold switch was definitely not a serious inquiry. I guess we'll just have to conjure up a little press test if we decide its worthwhile. Thanks guys!

One thing to consider is that metallic inks look pretty dark unless you are catching the specular reflection. Mixing gold into process, even with a dry trap, will make a pretty heavy, flat image. The problem is that you want a lot of "gold shininess" in the highlights, but in order to get any reflection off metallic ink, you have to use a lot of it, which kills your highlights. So "channeling a little metallic ink into a process image" isn't really going to do much for you.

Metallic Ink

Metallic Ink

Printing a metallic halftone looks less metallic. I have had better success printing a solid metallic in the shape, then overprint the image on that. I like printing solid silver metallic because it looks the most metallic - then overprint the image. You will have to manipulate the image and or color separation.

Bruce Moore

If you have the capability to screen print first, try a Pearlescent Ink down first. We have had a lot of success surprinting over a clear Pearl, obtaining that "metallic look" without the dark silver color.

metallic

metallic

When you print with metallic inks, in some cases you can achieve higher "metallic feel" if you increase the PH up to 5.7-5.9.

Printing a metallic halftone looks less metallic. I have had better success printing a solid metallic in the shape, then overprint the image on that. I like printing solid silver metallic because it looks the most metallic - then overprint the image. You will have to manipulate the image and or color separation.

Bruce Moore
PowerQuote Print Estimating Software

I have to agree with POWERQUOTE. However, I would use a process yellow with some fluorescent yellow mixed in. The flourescent yellow will make the process yellow cleaner and brighter to compensate for the dirty and flatened look of the gold or silver under color.

Metallics

Metallics

Hi,

The Gold ink doesn't really work as well as you may think.
I have had some success using as solid silver 877 and then printing
a tint of yellow and magenta on which would carry the detail of the coin.
This gives the appearance of gold metallic.
Try and get hold of a MetalFX swatch book or the colour library for Quark..
as this is a good reference.

Good Luck..

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back