Feedback from Toyo Hyplus users

Pressmanscooter

My pressroom just switched from Toka to Toyo Hyplus 100 NEX. Its only been a week, but getting mixed reviews. I like that my fountains are clean after a week, my water is down a significant amount (which fixes other problems), and its very stable. However, I don't like that the cyan and magenta are so strong that they can be difficult to control with low coverage areas. Also it doesn't dry nearly as fast as my last solvent free/non-voc ink.

Anyone had similar feedback or is it just me?

Thanks

Scott

I have run Toyo Hyplus for years. I have been pretty satisfied, with two exceptions. As you mentioned, it doesn't hard dry very fast, and I have had some emulsification problems on long runs, though this is probably a combination of things causing this.

This particular ink is slower setting but hard drying. I personally found the old version in low tack better which was toyo hyplus 100.
The new hyplus 100 NEX doesn't set as fast nor does it have the rub resistance of the old version. They have changed the types of varnish / resin oils and driers used.

The pigment strength is an issue with this ink set. Same as you have mentioned controlling the cyan/magenta was an issue, also I found matching reprints with blue or purple hues was difficult.
This ink is effected by damp levels easier then some other solvent free inks.

Was your previous solvent free ink T&K Toka ?

I was using Toka Best One Soy Non VOC medium tack. The water was higher, and it dried fast on the sheet and in the fountain. After 3 days it was drying up on the fountain sidewalls and starting to dry on the fountain ball. It dried so good on the sheet, I could live with changing fountains in the middle of the week, just wished it wasn't so thirsty. My big gripe with TOYO, besides the price is that it has the stability of a solvent free ink, but not the drying. The over pigmentation just adds insult to injury. Any other good NON VOC sets out there?

For me this ink seems to work very well on uncoated stock but when we run it on coated stock with out aqueous coating it we get a lot of chalking/drying issues. It seems pretty consistent batch to batch and runs pretty well in a wide water range. Overall not my favorite ink but not really that bad either(since we don't run much coated stock with out AQ coating)

It is a good ink, no matter which 4/C process series you choose. It is strong, prints a sharp dot and has good drying capability. Of all the commercial ink suppliers I would consider TOYO the best.
The price you will find is somewhat higher than most offerings. Paying 18-20$ for a series is however reasonable because of the increase in raw material prices today. Certainly cheapest is not the best.
The shortcomings would be more difficulty in light coverage forms with possible density variaition. The other would be the lack of technical service as most of the ink is distributed through middlemen distributorships.
D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back