Fiery impose licenses

crossroads

Hi all, we have three digital printers with fiery controllers, that accept jobs from 2 or 3 operators who work from their desks on command workstation. Each operator keeps a fiery impose dongle in their desktop. We are replacing our km1085 likely with a 7100 and it is including an impose license on the actual fiery. Does this mean we need to have the operator walk over to the machine to setup each job if we don't want to buy additional licenses?

I can’t speak about the transition from Impose to Quite Imposing but I have been using Quite for years. I use it for all my imposition including large format. I haven’t found anything that it can’t do and if you do get stuck, they are very helpful in providing a solution (good luck getting this type of support from Fiery). The only downside is that imposition for sequential numbering on automated cutters like the Duplo is very cumbersome. Montax Imposer has the sequence for sequential numbering on auto cutters down to a simple tick, so keep that in mind if you’re running varying job specs for sequential numbering for an auto cutter. If it’s always the same jobs with sequential numbering, then it’s no big deal for Quite once you get it setup and saved as an automatic sequence. Sequential numbering for stack cutting isn’t an issue with Quite, it’s just the imposition for auto cutters that requires too much thought.

Don’t let Quite Imposing wonky looking website throw you off, it’s a great program. Get a trial and give it a try.

If you are looking to centralize and automate your imposition and also potentially integrate your bindery as well, then I'll throw Ultimate Impostrip into the ring as well.
While I don't know your actual needs, if you are looking at investing in a new solution it makes sense to look at all options so you can make an informed decision, not just for now but also for the future.

You can drop me a PM if you would like to know more.

Quite Imposing is great despite having a website that looks like 1995. 90% of jobs I impose with that.

Mailings I impose with Fusion Pro to save myself a step and break jobs into groups.

Certain business cards I setup a hot folder to impose on the Fiery. I find Fiery Impose counterintuitive for some tasks, whereas Quite Imposing is really easy and I setup many programs for different types of jobs to make it one click for me.

Would leaving fiery impose for quite impose be a big adjustment? Anybody have input with that?
@crossroads Yes, it's a big adjustment. I used to sell both, and have used both. I also used to sell KM production gear. Fiery Impose is much more user friendly, and much more visual. The biggest difference is with Fiery, you can see a live preview of what's happening as you are setting up the imposition. With Quite, you don't know that you messed up until you've finished the process, then have to go back and do it again. As someone who worked with Fiery Impose for many years, it was 'quite' frustrating to start using Quite, and I'm sure your designers/pre-press staff would feel the same.

As for the license you're getting with your new Fiery, it can be installed on any computer, it doesn't have to be directly on the Fiery...but it can only be installed on one computer. You can move it to another computer later by deactivating the license, then reactivating it on another PC. If one license will be a problem for your 3 designers, then make sure to purchase more licenses. Most shops do install it on the Fiery though since it's not something you use all the time and they just walk over to it when needed. You can setup hot folders to automatically make the more common setups much faster such as business cards. Just drop in the PDF, and it will automatically impose, select the correct media, and even print a sample if you want.

Unfortunately, the dongles won't work with the newer versions of Fiery. The stop working after CWS version 6.5.

There is a trick that we sometimes use - Use the demo version of Impose on a non-licensed computer. It does have the watermark, however all you need to do is open and close the imposed file at the server computer and the watermark is gone. It's not perfect but only takes a few seconds.

There is a trick that we sometimes use - Use the demo version of Impose on a non-licensed computer. It does have the watermark, however all you need to do is open and close the imposed file at the server computer and the watermark is gone. It's not perfect but only takes a few seconds.
Not really smart to own up to that when you have your company name (if it's correct) in your print planet profile.
I guess there is also a Eula attached to the demo version, might be worth a read?

Not really smart to own up to that when you have your company name (if it's correct) in your print planet profile.
I guess there is also a Eula attached to the demo version, might be worth a read?
Hmm, didn't think it was a big deal, after all my sales person told me about it, and we have a license.

Hmm, didn't think it was a big deal, after all my sales person told me about it, and we have a license.
Same. I don't see it as a violation of the rules, more of a "working within" the established rules. It's no different than my using splashtop to splash into the computer with the license to impose files.

I would still read the Eula, from your description it's another seat of the software. and from my understanding it's a 'per seat' business model.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back