Fiery RIP

kaiserwilhelm

I am hoping this is in the correct forum. If not, please move.
I have a Konica 550 with a Fiery Rip. I see that EFI will be announcing Adobe Pdf Print Engine for their Fiery Rips.
The question is this.
Does anyone know of a 3rd party software, or possibly just a bit of education concerning Acrobat 8 that will alleviate this issue.
It seems to me that I will be "printing" out of Acrobat as an APPE. Then, the Fiery grabs it.
Doesn't Acrobat printing flatten on the fly? Thus, getting rid of the whole idea that I was trying for?
I am also going to cross post this in Adobe land.
(If I am ignorant on any of this, please bare with me).

Re: Fiery RIP

Your question is somewhat confusing!

Your current EFI Fiery RIP takes PostScript and prints to your Konica printer. If you print a PDF file from Acrobat 8 to that printer, Acrobat 8 generates PostScript that is sent to the RIP. Any transparency in the PDF file is flattened within Acrobat as part of the process of producing PostScript since PostScript doesn't have the concept of anything other than opaque objects.

If you have a printer with the Adobe PDF Print Engine, you don't need Acrobat to print the file. Simply submit the file to the RIP and it will directly print from there, reconciling transparency and color managment as an integral part of the RIP process.

Does this answer your question? If not, please be a bit more specific.

- Dov

Yes, it does answer it.
I am waiting for Fiery to announce their new APPE rip.
I am assuming that since I have a Fiery in front of my Konica that I
will be able to pay some bucks and go to APPE.
I guess part of my question is this: Will Acrobat (8.XX, 9.0, etc) have an option to
submit (print) to an APPE rip without going back to PS? We open our PDFs, give em
a quick look and then print. Under the above described environment we will open in Acrobat,
view, close, and then drag onto a Fiery hot folder.
Thanks

Acrobat does have some internal capability for that. EFI would need to provide a programatic interface to it for Acrobat.

- Dov

In Fiery Command Workstation you can set up hot folders. By using hot folders to process the PDF's you are "submitting" then you will have the advantages of the APPE. So find in the manual where to set up the hot folders.

But I wouldn't spend too much time on a Fiery with a C-550 or C-500. Go with the Creo front end. It's much better. Better imposition, better trapping and better color control. Such a better RIP in so many ways... Not to mention here in the US the Fiery SJ300 with the Graphic Arts Kit costs the same as the Creo unit. But the Creo unit comes with all the bells and whistles the Fiery does (plus a few EFI doesn't have), and it does a better job of it!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back