Fiery vs KMBS print controller

Thanks for posting. I do think Konica has come a long way from emperon controllers. I don't have need for impose but would have loved a cheap embedded print controller. Im leaning to Fiery only because at resell time it will go for more even though for my purposes the KM controller would be a better option.

If C6100 could do 450 gsm regularly (Konicas were famous for being able to do more than they spec) I don't think I will ever upgrade and run this to the ground.
My Konica 6085 will run 450 gsm

I always appreciate and respect your opinion from your experience. Yes I had this question 6 months ago and during covid this project was put on backlog. I have been conflicted about this and didn't have time to go to local KMBS dealer to see demonstration. What is throwing me off more is how many people love fiery and how my experience has been reverse.

FYI I had hoped to come across a used print controller used in a few months and not able to find ANYTHING. I had asked Konica how many of C6100/C6085 are in the market and it sounded less than 100 in US. I tried to investigate if I could use an IC-602 $100 to run C6100 (as C1060 and C6100 seem to be related). Now I am trying to see if I can trade in my old C6000 for a KMBS IC-604 controller even if I have to pay extra for it.

The only other thing running through my mind since I am able to purchase the Fiery locally with lifetime warranty and its running same price as KMBS controller that I should purchase it to increase resale value of my machine. My preference is to use my C6100 for 10-15 years as the only feature I care about is being able to print thick stock, efficiently and cost effectively. It would have been slightly nicer to get 450gsm capability but I can live with 400gsm. But as machines eventually get traded in and resold first question out of everyone's mouth is does it have a Fiery? It makes it easier to sell/trade/etc. But like I said before I dont see a reason for 10+ years unless printing costs come way down or a better perfect binder is released that gives zero headaches (not likely).

How many service calls have you put on your C6085? I am still debating whether to put mine on contract. I found a local KMBS dealer that charges less than KMBS USA on PPC contracts. In the past I would get PPC contracts just for the Fiery. There have been times where all fusers had to be changed but that would run cheaper than my monthly bill. With new vacuum paper feeding system and RU-518 I am hoping less paper jams running 13x19 duplex. Can RU-518 be used as a finisher or do I need to put my PB-503 at the end? I read online that the RU-518 can auto purge paper jams would be super awesome feature.

Hi, noticed your post. I have Konica 6085 -its 2 years old 1.4 million clicks. I would recommend putting it under contract. I love my machine but it’s NOT bullet proof. I bought the machine outright new and put it under contract. I couldn’t imagine not having a tech on call included in the click charge.

I work for KM selling only production & industrial print devices and have been seeing tremendous success and satisfaction with the KM controller over the last few years. Fiery is also a fantastic choice and would ultimately depend on the user's previous experience. I have customers who have been Creo users for years and recently tried the KM Controller and actually preferred it. It is extremely easy to use and to learn how to use.
If you select the KM controller I would recommend looking into getting the AccurioPro Flux Essential software to accompany your controller. This will help make your impositions/compositions and make ready setups a breeze. Lastly, I would recommend reaching out to your local KM dealer/branch and request a virtual or live demo on the controllers as well as the software/options available. Also great choice on the AccurioPress C6100, it is an incredible device!

Good luck!

Hi, my 6085 has the 313 / Fiery. Fiery works well with this machine. I do 100% variable data and have 1.4 million clicks. The machine is a super machine. I have had a lot of issues of and on with my 5k stacker but would not part with it or the high capacity stacker.

@Jbrujster (Mailing Guy) - not read the full topic, but do you have an IQ501 on your 6085? Am I right in thinking without one, those high capacity stackers could leave you a costly wastage bill, as you're not seeing the output until you wheel the dolly out?

Can someone advise me about fiery vs km controller? I have been watching tons of youtube videos for KM controller and it looks awesome and well integrated with machine. Its costing $1000+ more to go KM route but it works directly with copier. My marketting manager and graphic artist would kill me for not going with fiery based on color reproduction. In all the years we had one time where we needed ferrari red and fiery color was used. We do our own jobs and color reproduction hasnt needed to be perfect. I'm color blind anyway. Is there any other reason to get a fiery? I dont need any imposition, job setup/tracking software. Somehow I feel going with fiery is going to make my life hard and dont want to gripe next 10-15 years about it.

Can someone advise me about fiery vs km controller? I have been watching tons of youtube videos for KM controller and it looks awesome and well integrated with machine. Its costing $1000+ more to go KM route but it works directly with copier. My marketting manager and graphic artist would kill me for not going with fiery based on color reproduction. In all the years we had one time where we needed ferrari red and fiery color was used. We do our own jobs and color reproduction hasnt needed to be perfect. I'm color blind anyway. Is there any other reason to get a fiery? I dont need any imposition, job setup/tracking software. Somehow I feel going with fiery is going to make my life hard and dont want to gripe next 10-15 years about it.
I have used Fiery for about 10 years. It is a very productive system. I am a demanding power user and I currently do not see any major or minor features missing from the system. I do not think that any one will tell you that the system is bad. EFI makes some other products that could be better, but Command Workstation and its directly related components like Hot Folders, Impose/Compose and JobMaster are arguably better than any other in-house solution provided by Xerox, KM or whatever.

Xerox Freeflow tends to be better at niche applications. I would have a hard time believing that Konica Minolta is producing software that has less issues than EFI.

Do not address W2P until you have more experience. Others will agree with me.

Last edited:
Hello, I just switched from Xerox color press with Freeflow Make Ready front end to KM C6100 with Fiery. I think that Freeflow is a lot similar and more user-friendly to set up, convert, or manage any print jobs. There were a lot more available options with the Freeflow, then Fiery.

Hello, I just switched from Xerox color press with Freeflow Make Ready front end to KM C6100 with Fiery. I think that Freeflow is a lot similar and more user-friendly to set up, convert, or manage any print jobs. There were a lot more available options with the Freeflow, then Fiery.
Thanks for your feedback. We have the same printer. Would you go with KM controller or stick with fiery with C6100 if you were to do it all over again? How are you liking your C6100? Any breakdowns?

Yes, we got 450gsm to run, but I wouldn't recommend doing it on a consistent basis. The OT-510 will not work with the PB-503. You would have to get the FS-532 instead. However, if you keep the PB in line, you're still going to get those roller marks. That has always been an issue for high color coverage. Try out that configurator I listed a few posts back...it will answer questions like these. It won't let you do any configuration that doesn't work...and it won't let you select "confirm" until you have at least the minimum components.
Currently my C6000 has a LU-202. Will that work on the C6100? I don't need or use it but just wondering. The model number on the system simulator is LU-202XLm.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back