Fingerprints - perhaps a dumb question, but...

bcr

So I've noticed especially when handling coated printed sheets that if I'm not very careful I am leaving fingerprints on them which end up looking like greasy smears.

This may sound a very daft question but I'm wondering how best to avoid this.

Do any of you wear gloves, or wash/wipe your hands with anything in particular to make them less greasy or prone to leaving prints?

I assume you're not talking about wet ink that hasn't set or dried completely yet.
This is occurring on the actual bare paper itself.
There is no press applied AQ or WB coating.
The paper is coated gloss, dull/matte/satin?
Are these normal production sheets or special customer samples?

I assume you're not talking about wet ink that hasn't set or dried completely yet.
This is occurring on the actual bare paper itself.
There is no press applied AQ or WB coating.
The paper is coated gloss, dull/matte/satin?
Are these normal production sheets or special customer samples?
This is glossy coated paper printed on a laser printer. No additional coatings applied.

As Cornish says. It's common practice to wear cheap (white) cotton gloves, UV coated or not.

Reactions: bcr
So I've noticed especially when handling coated printed sheets that if I'm not very careful I am leaving fingerprints on them which end up looking like greasy smears.

This may sound a very daft question but I'm wondering how best to avoid this.

Do any of you wear gloves, or wash/wipe your hands with anything in particular to make them less greasy or prone to leaving prints?
Don't touch your face or skin while you are at work. Wash hands with Dawn or something. Should solve the problem unless you have greasy work surfaces.

If you do that, you shouldn't have any problems.

If you feel any residue, just go and wash your hands. Generally I only have to worry about this when I'm coming back from lunch and if I'm handling clear acetate for presentations. But I'm guessing this is just a hygiene issue, which is easy to fix with some self-control.

I've noticed the same thing. We don't make a habit of wearing gloves here but I guess maybe we should. I hate the idea of wearing gloves in this hot climate though.
I'd probably lean more towards just putting a plain white sheet of 28lb paper on top of the stack on jobs that are heavily coated if I think it might be an issue during handling the stack. Now that I think about it, I really only ever notice it with specific shades of blue.

I've noticed the same thing. We don't make a habit of wearing gloves here but I guess maybe we should. I hate the idea of wearing gloves in this hot climate though.
I'd probably lean more towards just putting a plain white sheet of 28lb paper on top of the stack on jobs that are heavily coated if I think it might be an issue during handling the stack. Now that I think about it, I really only ever notice it with specific shades of blue.
Yeah this was a very dark blue!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back